firefox/java [solved]

geden

Thanks guys...problem caused by the browsers plugin finder service sending me to the wrong place for the correct download. All is well as j2re1.4.2_05 is on the #3 cd of 10.1 powerpack. Its working fine now...Thanks again.

ehm... I just formatted and reinstalled mandrake powerpack 10.1 but I'm not able to have java working on firefox. what did you do exactly? I installed the version on the cd and then I copied the .so found in the /usr/java etc. file in the firefox plugins directory but all I obtain is that when I try to visit a site with a java applet, firefox crashes all of a sudden. the strange fact is that the other times I was able to make it work. (oh, and the same thing happens with realplayer)

:wall:

thank you for your attention.

:)

peste

I copied the .so found in the /usr/java etc. file in the firefox plugins directory but all I obtain is that when I try to visit a site with a java applet, firefox crashes all of a sudden.

You can't copy the .so files, that won't work. You have to do symlinks, just like the Firefox FAQ (here it is again: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#q2.2) says to do.

Firefox is compiled with gcc 3.2.3, so a compatible version of the Java plugin must be used. JRE 1.4.2 contains a compatible plugin.

If you installed the JRE 1.4.2_05 RPM (LM10.1 cd #3), this plugin is /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so and to install it for Firefox, do the following:

1. Open a terminal

2. Change to your Firefox plugins directory

3. Issue the following command: ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

:beer: