Won't boot now [solved]

Ok...

I run cooker. Have for at least a year (can't honestly remember when I started). I know that cooker is unstable but...

I ran a urpmi --auto-select recently, then installed kde 3.4 from thac's rpms. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but I messed something up I think.

I rebooted to get all the new settings to take affect (first bad move, I guess). Reboot hung on Alsa (known bug in the new version of Alsa, but I didn't find that out till later). Booted into Knoppix cause nothing else worked for me, uninstalled Alsa and reinstalled it thinking that would fix my problem. It didn't. When I was reinstalling, it wanted kernel 2.6.11-2mdk, so I installed that too (as well as the kernel source), now I have a way more interesting problem.

Booting to my default lilo entry or to the created 2.6.11-2 entry causes an immediate hang. It never gets to the 'Press Esc for verbose mode' part of the lilo boot, and my usb (wireless) keyboard never initializes. Booting to 2.6.8.1-20 causes the same hang in Alsa.

Anyone know how I can fix this with the 2.6.11-2mdk kernel? Failing that, anyone know where I can get the kernel source rpm for 2.6.8.1-20mdk? If I could get that, I think I could at least get my machine to boot. I really don't want to reinstall, but I know I may have to and I am currently downloading the most recent 10.2 isos just in case.

Can anyone please help me?

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

One, thing, you definitely dont have to reinstall. If its not getting to press I for interactive mode, then its a kernel issue.

All you need to do, is boot knoppix, and via chroot, install any kernel, may as well get the one off the most recent 10.2 cds, but anything from 10.1's kernel would be fine.

Install it, and add it to your lilo/grub. That should get you into your system again. If that doesnt work, please get the last few lines of output before the computer hangs.

iphitus

Reboot hung on Alsa (known bug in the new version of Alsa, but I didn't find that out till later).

try to skip alsa with pressing ctrl + c. if that works, you can fix almost everything else later.

One, thing, you definitely dont have to reinstall. If its not getting to press I for interactive mode, then its a kernel issue.

All you need to do, is boot knoppix, and via chroot, install any kernel, may as well get the one off the most recent 10.2 cds, but anything from 10.1's kernel would be fine.

Install it, and add it to your lilo/grub. That should get you into your system again. If that doesnt work, please get the last few lines of output before the computer hangs.

iphitus

Enabling Alsa 1.0.6: emu10k1 [OK]

Then a blinking cursor. I don't ever remove a previous kernel until I know that the new one will work. This time, it didn't work.

Well, I fixed it...although I'm not exactly sure how.

Booted to knoppix, removed kernel 2.6.11-2mdk and reinstalled the same, changed from splash=silent to splash=verbose so I could track it in case of problems and it booted up just fine...odd

Now I have a KDE problem, but that will go in the correct thread.