What would you like to see in MDK 9.1?

SoulSe

Now that 9.1 beta1 is out, I was wondering what you guys would like to see implemented in 9.1?

I think the first issue should be supermount, which is the first thing to be disabled after install. If supermount can not be 'repaired' then I think there should be an option in the installation process to disable it.

I like the icons in Red Hat 8.0, but I think they are a little bit too WinXPish. It is also interesting that Red Hat 8 seems to prefer the use of Gnome and GDM, while Mandrake 9.0 prefers KDE (just looking at default installs). I personally prefer Gnome and I REALLY like GDM (it has great skins and just feels like a 'friendlier' graphical greeter). My problem is that I use Quanta all the time and it runs slightly better under KDE, for which it was made. Red Hat 8 has also made use of how customisable Gnome is, I don't ever like that, so I don't have any big problems with how Mandrake is handling the window managers, except:

I also think that some form of fluxbox should be included with MDK 9.1, it seems that most of the users on this forum like using fluxbox.

Openoffice has become a bit of an issue with many people. I personally find it to be slow and bloated. It also sometimes just does not start for no apparent reason. That said, it is the best office suite I have tried for Linux. Star Office is a bit complicated and Open Office is more 'to-the-point' if you know what I mean. I think it needs a bit of tweaking before running smoothly under MDK 9.

A few extra update sources would be nice. I think Texstar, for one, should be included by default with urpmi.

Those are some of my suggestions for now. I'm sure I will think of more. What do you think:?:

Well, since the users are voting for which rpm's should be in 9.1, I m sure the selection will get better.

I think the first issue should be supermount
Yeah, always is...and...always gives users probs...hopefully not this time.

I also think that some form of fluxbox should be included with MDK 9.1
voters will take care of this, although there was a reason it wasn't in 9.0...don't remember what it was though. Someone pulled out of it I think. If this is the case, it doesn't look good for 9.1, but that doesn't bother me. It's small to download and easy to rebuild, so I wouldn't use the rpm, and don't think a lot of users would.

Openoffice has become a bit of an issue with many people.
A real email client, and a real office suite that doesn't require buying some special pack or club membership would be nice. Put it in the Standard Edition. After all, isn't it the basics of what people do with a computer? How then does it make sense to cost more? Oh, but M$ does it...right?...well, Office 2000 is awesome compared to anything offered by Linux. When Linux gets something that good, I'll be hapy to pay more. *sigh*

So what would I like to see? How about java and flash!

Office 2000 is awesome compared to anything offered by Linux

Umm I have yet to find a single thing that I do in MS Office that OpenOffice can't do just as easily. With the exception of databases, but thats not an issue for me. I have to use MS Office occassionally, and the fact that I don't whenever possible says a lot.

Anyway, end of rant:

I'd like to see an app like MythTV or FreeVO included. MDK has excellent TV card support, so why not make the most of it?

Also theres some new KDE pim software (forgotten its name). Combines address book, email, calendar, etc.. Would be nice to see that.

Oh and Tux Puc & TuxKart. both great games.