Install flashplayer in Konqueror

dmzeplin

I was success to install the flashplayer into Firefox 1.0 and realized that knoqueror doesn't have version for flashplayer. So, I though to add flashplayer for knoqueror, but realized I can't find right folder?

When I use knoqueror link to CBS.com, it keep asking for install flashplayer. I believe konqueror doesn't have one??

First, let me sidestep your problem and give you some advice. I've been trying to get my ather in law to follow this advice ever since I got him turned onto linux and for whatever reason, he also refuses to follow it.

My advice is this. Stop using konqueror. It's not a good browser. It's fine for browsing local files, but beyond that, it sucks. To my knowledge, there is nothing it will do that you can't do with mozilla or moz firefox, and those can do many things that konq can't do.

Also, many websites, will reccognize and work with mozilla that will not reccognize or work with konq. Setting up pluggins in konq is hit or miss at best.

If I haven'e convinced you to stop using konq, first, may God have mercy on your soul, and second, click on the kmenu>configuration/configure your desktop. once you're there, click on internet options in the pane on the left, and look for the option detect pluggins. it's in there somewhere. It will scan the mozzilla plugin directory and isntall anything that is compatible with konq in the right directory. Chances are, flashplayer and realplay will not work, even after doing this many times, but it's worth a shot if you insist on punishing yourself by browsing the internet with konq.

Thanks VeeDubb,

I will take your word, as I have Firefox, but I was unable to set as my default AND I was unable to click the icon to be excutable insead I have to type "firefox in root conscle".

For some reason if I need to rush click and go for some surfing, But wondering if there will be able for me to set firefox as my default and one click icon to excutable?

Thanks again!

if the icon doesn't work, you can simply delete the icona dn make a new one that does. If you don't know how, just ask.

Also, it's very easy to make it your default browser.

kmenu>system>configuration>configure your desktop

components>file associations. here you can assign your default programs. simply set mozilla or firefox as the default for .html, .HTML, .htm, .HTM, .shtml and .SHTML

kmenu>system>configuration>configure your desktop

components>file associations.  here you can assign your default programs.  simply set mozilla or firefox as the default for .html, .HTML, .htm, .HTM, .shtml and .SHTML

Thanks, I get it, however the excutable icon which I removed in menudrake and add new application that lead to /usr/bin/firefox... So once I click the icon, still not working... but it will work only IF firefox is running on desktop, and I can click firefox icon to be another excutable it? Therefore, I have to leave one firefox open in multi desktop at number 5.

Hope if I made myself clear? I believe there is application is in somewhere than /usr/bin/firefox

I understand what you're saying, I'm just not sure why it would be that way for you. Maybe someone else can help more. I'll see what I can find this eavening.

Personaly, I've always used the main branch of mozilla rather than mozilla firefox, so it may be a problem unique to firefox or to the particular version of firefox you're using.

If you can't solve the problem with ff, you could always try just regular or mozilla. Of course, you should be able to fix the ff problem. I'm jsut not sure how.

MAybe you could tell me a couple of things.

1. Describe EXACTLY what happens when you try to launch ff witht he icon in the kmenu.

2. open up the menu editor, and open up the edit screen for ff, and tell me EXACTLY what each entry says.

3. Last, tell me exactly you are entering in the cosole that does launch it correctly.

With that, I can probaby get you aquared away.

Hey thank you VeeDubb and crashdamage,

I will put aside the problem for now until I upgrade xorg 6.8 and hopefully that OS can help solve the problem?

I download RPM firefox-1.0.1 and then remove completed and re-do RPM however done from MCC mozilla-firefox, both have same problem...

at first I did for firefox-1.0.2 from /usr/bin/firefox then changed to /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox......

VeeDubb, if you download directly from firefox, I am curious where would you place the folder in? /usr/lib/firefox? or just place in /home/myhome/firefox?

Edited by dmzeplin

I will put aside the problem for now until I upgrade xorg 6.8 and hopefully that OS can help solve the problem?

I download RPM firefox-1.0.1 and then remove completed and re-do RPM however done from MCC mozilla-firefox, both have same problem...

You can take care of installing Firefox and upgrading xorg in one shot by going to Thac's rpm repository here:

http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/thac/10.1/RPMS/

Add it to your urpmi sources, then:

# urpmi -v mozilla-firefox

That will install :

mozilla-firefox-1.0-2.mdk10.1.thac

which I *think* is the latest version available by rpm right now. Been working perfectly for me. At the same time, it will also automatically upgrade xorg to:

xorg-x11-6.8.2-6.mdk10.1.thac

After installation, you'll need to close everything and restart X for the xorg-x11 upgrade to take effect, but no reboot is necessary.

...if you download directly from firefox I am curious where would you place the folder in? /usr/lib/firefox? or just place in /home/myhome/firefox?

You can pretty much put it wherever you want, but of course /home/myhome is not a good place if you have other users on your box you also want to be able to run Firefox. Somewhere like /usr/local/bin might be better.

But I always say never install from tarballs on a .rpm or .deb-based system except as a last resort. If you do, urpmi (or apt, yum, whatever) has no knowledge of the installation and files it added and so cannot properly keep track of resolving dependencies, etc. That means there's some possibility of an oops condition happening sometime down the road. It's also hard to uninstall software installed from tarballs. If you must install from source, it's better to make a rpm with checkinstall. At least then you have your own reusable and easily uninstallable package. It's very easy. Basically, you just install the checkinstall package:

urpmi -v checkinstall

...and after unpacking the tarball you want to install, instead of:

./configure

make

make install

You do:

./configure

make

checkinstall

'man checkinstall' or a little Googling will give more details.