Wine

Hello,

Who could tell me what wine version I can use on mdk 10.1 to get directx working ?

I'd like to run my rc scale model simulator Ipacs Aerofly pro under linux. It installs directx 8.0a but runs fine with directx 9 under winloose.

Thanks.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

This is simple. DirectX through Wine is not possible. I know someone is going to get on here and flame me for this, and post specific examples of wine successes with direct X, but those examples, are the only ones that exist.

There is hope however. There are other projects besides wine that may get the job done.

I suggest looking into Cedega, Win4lin and VMware. Chances are, one of the three of those will do what you want. I'd search for them on this board first, and then on google second. I have personaly posted long and highly detailed descriptions and comparisons of each on this board, and I know that you will find them if you search.

Since your biggest concern is directX, I'd look into cedega, you might also do a search for WineX. It's the same thing, they changed their name this last year from WineX to cedega. Their website is http://www.transgaming.com and they have a forum over at http://www.transgaming.org/forum Lot's of discussion about what programs work with what versions of cedega. fare warnign though, the main target of cedega is gaming, so most folks won't know what you're talking about. But, since gaming is the goal, DirectX support is a must.

Thanks for your quick replies. I did it on mdk 9.2 with win4lin 5 by installing the sim in win4lin/windows that gave a sloppy running. Then I called the sim from wine (from the friend Thacs), having symlinked the windows and program files to those installed in win4lin and it ran quite fine (directx 8.0a was installed in win4lin).

Now I've upgraded to mdk 10.1 pro pack and can't reproduce the same environment due to many many changes either in mdk or wine.

Also tried winex compiled from cvs, but couldn't install it due to too much version discrepancies, and cedega pricing policy is quite discouraging.

The sim runs at 2 frames per second in win4lin 5 and when started with wine crashes as soon as the window opens . With the 9.2 trick it ran at 350 fps !!

I've tried some kernel and wine versions/combinations without success. I'm searching for a good one. Also, upgrading Xorg loses 1500 fps with glxgears with a nvidia fx 5700 :angry:

I will continue to search, try, crash ....:juggle:

Thanks for the pointers.

Next step:

I gave a try to the patch for directx9. It's a little better. The sim starts and I can see briefly the logo screen then it crashes with:

fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer gl_version is: "1.2 (1.5.2 NVIDIA 66.29)"

fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer glx_exts is: "GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_SGI_swap_control GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGIX_fbconfig "

fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer gl_version is: "1.2 (1.5.2 NVIDIA 66.29)"

fixme:opengl:query_function_pbuffer glx_exts is: "GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_SGI_swap_control GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGIX_fbconfig "

Any idea about opengl ?

:thanks:

Edited by ellianef