Thac and Zé's KDE 3.4 rpms

devries

Ok, in exact steps. Login to kde however you can (drop into shell and startx, presumably). Open up a terminal.

su

*password*

urpme mdkkdm

urpme kdebase-kdm

urpmi mdkkdm

Reboot and everything *should* be fine. urpme is the command for uninstalling an rpm file.

urpme kdebase-kdm seems to require removing a ton of deps as well (like most of KDE from what I can see).

Is that normal / okay? Either way it's a PITA, but will try it, I guess <shrugs>.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eeek!  TBH, if you're as much as a linux newb as me then I'd stick with default Mandrake/DE until you really feel confident about what you're doing - perhaps mandrake will include a fourth 3.4 disk with the upcoming 1.2 release, like they did with  1.1 and KDE3.3?

foot, I am definitely New:huh:bie! But something I will learn better if I see and performance by myself, and learn better from there...

BTW, I crashed 3 times with same as KDEgreet which I keep struggle with! But I am sure I will success soon, when I get time to figure out...

ok...update menus -v didn't work, until I mv'd ~/.local/ and did it again.  Now my menu works!

Anyone know how to add the 'Switch User' like command to the kmenu?  I know it's supposed to be there but mine doesn't have it

Do you mean 'end session only'? Mine came back when I did the fix above.

Can you explain in more detail, step-by-step stylee, what you did for the menus? It's driving me mad, I've got like 3 Homes!

Hell, right now something seems subtly different every time I reboot. Still no sound (anyone?), but my mouse behaviour sorted itself out mysteriously at some point... :screwy:

Step by step:

open a console or log in via cli

type: mv ~/.local ~/.local-bak

Run update-menus -v

Once that is done, everything should work for you

Do you mean 'end session only'? Mine came back when I did the fix above.

No. There is supposed to be a command to start a new session without leaving the first session. Like the Switch user command in Windoes XP. I can't find it anywhere.

Okay, I see what you mean now. Mine came back when I did _your_ fix!

Guess that doesn't help you much though.

From the output, I'm guessing that update-menus is a script? If you locate and read it, maybe you can correct the problem by figuring out where it gets its information from...

so.. about these bookmarks

how do i get them back?? :)

thanks

Edit: nevermind, copied ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml.bak to ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml

One thing I was wondering though was, I can't get the option to have the menu bar at the top of the screen to work in combination with the kickermenu applet.. Something I'll figure out eventually though

Great work!

Another edit: I can't figure out how to turn down the transparency on menus, I can barely read them! Everything else I can do fine, just can't figure out menus!

Also, does anyone know of a way to reset menus? I upgraded a few days ago to kde 3.3.2 and ended up messing my menus all up trying to fix the duplicates thing, now all of my menu entries have no icon & there is a duplicate folder of "More applications", but the Root menus work fine, so i just wanna reset it basically?

Thanks again!

Edited by KopiX

:unsure: Questions for you guys...

I have been figure out why I get 3rd time crashed! I know I have xorg 6.8.2 upgraded, and I have 5 things such as main, config, thac, plf non-free and plf free. urpmi.update -a, and you name them...

I popped as I seen that I have 2.6.8.1-1-mdk as current, I saw one of those about version is around 2.11.3?? Do you think the problem will solve if I upgrade this before attempt for KDE 3.4?

Hope to success and not get 4th! :wall:

Extra panels: Rightclick on kicker, add, panels, whatever you want, lets say extra taskbar. Ricghtclick kicker again, choose configure panel, make up, on the build tab, click on the new dropdown menu and choose extra taskbar. Now put it at the top of the screen. (translated from dutch actual wording might be different)

Menu transparancy: Open kde control center, look & feel, style, tab effects and use the slide to adjust the transparancy.

Reset the menus: try first resetting the icons, kde control center, look and feel, icons. The duplicate folder just remove in menudrake or kdemenuedit.

Dmzeplin: a kernel upgrade will not help you with KDE. If you're unsure about urpmi just read the faqs again or tell us about your problems.

Guest xavierh
Tou must be aware the the process to upgrade 10.1 to kde-3.4.0 is not an easy one.

it requires upgrading a lot of other stuff.

like xorg,Mesa,alsa,jackit ..

and the is the new xgd based menus system that also needs upgrading.

The upgradin for 10.2 will be much easier since in 10.2 most of the needed dependencys

is already there.

/Torbjörn Turpeinen (Thac)

Hello Thac. Thanks for your wonderfurl work on the kde 3.4 rpms for mandrake 10.1 I have a couple of questions for you regarding it. I have installed the latest versions of the rpms that you have created. and so far these are the only problems that I'm having:

The login window loop: my user (not systme users) show up in the window but after putting the password and clickin on the login button, the system redraws the screen again and the same logon window appaears. After 3 or 4 tries. I get back to a command line prompt, I put my username and password and do a "startx" and kde is able to start win no problem. I'm using mdkdkm as the display manager. Is this a problem with display manager configuration for mdkkdm and if so should I switch to xdm or kdm?

Menus: After the latest pakages that some items on my menus have disappeared, specially drakconf and kcontrol. If I open menudrake I can see the entries listed in the menu but even after saving the menu in menudrake and / or doing update-menus -v those entries still don't appear. Also iafter installing software (for example superkaramba) the only way of making the menu entry appear on the menu is to use the update-menus command.

Other than those 2 things, everything is working fine (so far so good). Please let me know what you think of those problems and if there is a way to fix them or if there are some other workarounds that I can use Thacs

Thanks in advance

I am closer to success... But I need to make sure everything is set before I reboot as I have feeling that I will have problem appear after reboot...

What I did to upgrade KDE 3.4:

urpme mdkkdm

urpme kdebase-kdm

urpmi mdkkdm

after completed, typed mcc in root, click install for kdebase. then update as well...

then I typed kcontrol in /usr/bin/: but it appeared

Creating link /root/.kde/socket-localhost.
Created link from "/root/.kde/socket-localhost" to "/tmp/ksocket-root"
/usr/X11R6/bin/iceauth:  creating new authority file /root/.ICEauthority
Creating link /root/.kde/tmp-localhost.
Created link from "/root/.kde/tmp-localhost" to "/tmp/kde-root"
kbuildsycoca running...
Creating link /root/.kde/cache-localhost.
Created link from "/root/.kde/cache-localhost" to "/var/tmp/kdecache-root"
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kbearimportfilter.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KParts/Plugin'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-fortran'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
Invalid entry (missing '=') at /tmp/kde-root/kconf_updater9aHgc.tmp:1
KWrited - Listening on Device /dev/pts/1
kcontrol: WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Defaulting to Settings/

I believe I need to urpmi something to install for KDE control center since the component, Look and Feel , and others are disappeared, but I do showed upgrade KDE 3.4

CLOSER to SUCCESS! :thumbs: