Thac and Zé's KDE 3.4 rpms

devries

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you mean in Konq, yeah I lost'em too. Hope they're floating around somewhere, like the missing menu items...

EDIT: AAARGH! Ctrl+Tab doesn't tab my Firefox now either! Now it just tabs desktops!

Reinstall is looking quite good unless someone has a solution.

Edited by Havin_it

If you mean in Konq, yeah I lost'em too. Hope they're floating around somewhere, like the missing menu items...

EDIT: AAARGH! Ctrl+Tab doesn't tab my Firefox now either! Now it just tabs desktops!

Reinstall is looking quite good unless someone has a solution.

I've already taken the liberty to give up this time. I've cleanly reinstalled 10.1. I'm a Linux noob, so I'll wait until 3.3 or 3.4 become official packages. Which KDE is released with 10.2 rc1?

I loved the speed increase in 3.4, but couldn't stand the issues of compatiblity it had with pretty much everything: loggin in (LOL), file associations, mplayer, and the list goes on.

I've spent an entire weekend trying to get an upgrade working flawlessly to no avail.

I am waiting for the next official Mandrake update.

It's not like 10.1 is obsolete or anything... in fact, I still like it very much. I wouldn't mind a speed increase though :)

God luck with your endeavor havin_it...

I've also given up. Now, I can't even boot non-interactively due to the system hanging after start Alsa. If I get past it, I get to kdm. Password works, but it throws me into xterm. Login again and startx to get up and running. Going to reinstall Mandrake 10.1 again tomorrow (time number 2342341231209) and, like Joe, forgot about 3.3 or 3.4 until they're officially supported by Mandrake. Oh well.

I'm up and running in KDE 3.4! Ok, this is how I fixed it. First, I had to change my sound driver (from emu10k1 to Audigy), which was causing a hang on boot. After I could finally boot cleanly, I urpme'd mdkkdm and kdebase-kdm. I then urpmi'd just mdkkdm. Booted and everything was fine. I hope this helps everyone out, as I was getting just a frustrated with it as everyone else.

I'm up and running in KDE 3.4! Ok, this is how I fixed it. First, I had to change my sound driver (from emu10k1 to Audigy), which was causing a hang on boot. After I could finally boot cleanly, I urpme'd mdkkdm and kdebase-kdm. I then urpmi'd just mdkkdm. Booted and everything was fine. I hope this helps everyone out, as I was getting just a frustrated with it as everyone else.

Can you walk me through what you did exactly please:

you typed:

urpmi mdkkdm

urpmi kdebase-kdm

urpmi mdkkdm

That's it? I'd appreciate it if you shared with me EXACTLY what you typed (along with file version if applicable) because I am a noob and have formatted countless times in the last 3 days...

Also, did you type this in a terminal window inside KDE logged in as a SU?

Edited by joe1031

Tou must be aware the the process to upgrade 10.1 to kde-3.4.0 is not an easy one.

it requires upgrading a lot of other stuff.

like xorg,Mesa,alsa,jackit ..

and the is the new xgd based menus system that also needs upgrading.

The upgradin for 10.2 will be much easier since in 10.2 most of the needed dependencys

is already there.

/Torbjörn Turpeinen (Thac)

I installed Kde 3.4 four days ago but i didn't urpmi --auto-select what i did is install in sections... For example i installed Xorg 6.8.2 first then i installed kdebase and kdenetwork

next i move into kde multimedia and kdm, granted something needed to install becuase they were depencies..once the Core files (kdebase) were installed i then went into "Install software" and i download on 'updatebilty' .. i pick anything that had to do with Thacs KDE even if i wasn't sure i needed it. I pick it, then went into addable and selected anything that had to do with kde 3.4... once everything download i then ctrl-alt-backspace.. i then notice acouple of little things like service menus were missing and my task bar was all different (i forgot kde servicemenus 3.4) i download kde servicemenus 3.4 and fix that problem. also notice that my Glxgears was all wrong so i download nvidia 6629 and installed it..I didn't try the new drivers because so many ppl are having trouble with them, anyway to only issue i have i sasl which i'm going to fix thanks to a previous post. Also for does using XQF you might have update geoip and Xqf to the newest version for some reason KDE 3.4 broke XQF.. but once updated it should work fine. So after a little bit of tweaking my KDE 3.4 is running smoothed, heck i even got my KfireSaver3d screensaver... Also i reboot my system and i show no errors and Kdm started fine..

This work for me i hope it works for everyone who want to do it this way.

-SC

Anyone try what this dude was saying?

I am eager to see if this solves the problem.

Ok, in exact steps. Login to kde however you can (drop into shell and startx, presumably). Open up a terminal.

su

*password*

urpme mdkkdm

urpme kdebase-kdm

urpmi mdkkdm

Reboot and everything *should* be fine. urpme is the command for uninstalling an rpm file.

Great, thanks for the advice.

I'm going to try this only after I use part image to backup my current boot drive.

I'll post my results... thanks again