suse 9.2 heat problem

The problem is not SuSE or powersave. It is the computer! Since you already mentioned an overheat problem, BIOS is shutting down the computer to protect it. This is independent of the OS.

Check your heatsink/fan to be sure it is functioning. Check in between the fins of the heatsink to make sure they are clear of crud. make sure your case fans and power supply are crud free and the fans are operating (and correctly): Fans in rear of case blow hot air OUT, while fans on bottom front, and side panel, blow air IN.

Another possible cause, is there is no thermal compound between cpu heatsink and cpu core.

You need proper air flow through the case in order to keep things cool (hdds put out heat as well, and the faster the spindle speed (RPM), the greater the heat output).

Hmmm.......

Okay, that is weird. I am running 9.2 Pro (32 bit), and I noticed that IF you have a cable modem (or other) connected via ethernet nic, SuSE install insists on installing Samba Server and Client, even when you don't need it. This takes up alot of ram, and I would presume, cpu time as well.

Could something like this be hogging your cpu, and thus generating heat?