Mandrake security levels - what is under the hood?

netsoul

Hi All!

Could somebody explain what is going on when one changes the security level in the Mandrake Security Center? I mean what scripts are executed/how to do that in command line?

Also - I have troules pinging a site and establishing a PPTP VPN connection when my security level is in Standard. Only Poor selection allows for it. How to fix it? IP tables is not installed - what guards this?

Thank you.

erm that's 8.2!

Mandrake secuity changed significantly in 10.1 .... to the point of being unworkable for me.

Like the mandrake kernels and wizards I think the documentation is 'join the club' or 'use the source code'..I spent a long time looking for the definition and patches to the enterprise kernel before 10.0 but never found it... one of my main reasons for ditching Mandrake as a main distro.

(the other being the wizards themselves and breaking webmin)

Its unfortunate but MDK are becoming more M$ like every release.

..and getting harder and harder to support if you are not running mandrake ...

erm that's 8.2! 

Mandrake secuity changed significantly in 10.1 ....  to the point of being unworkable for me.

The club knowledge-base article that pmpatrick refers to, links to the 8.2 documentation - that's how I found it. So it may be out-of-date but it's probably the most up-to-date available... :unsure:

The club knowledge-base article that pmpatrick refers to, links to the 8.2 documentation - that's how I found it.  So it may be out-of-date but it's probably the most up-to-date available...  :unsure:

I don't doubt that! That was my complaint :juggle:

The changes in 10.1 were huge by the look of it and the whole thing is completely unusable to me without documentation. So we end up chicken/egg... do I join the club to get documentation ?

MY personal feeling is this is blackmail so I won't... even if they gave me the powerpack... because I won't be tied to paying for documentation.

(incidentally they DID give me the powerpack - thanks but no-thanks)

Heya,

it has been quite some time since I have worked with Mandrake, but there is a directory (I think /usr/share/msec) or so. It contains various files. I remember there are 2 types of files (maybe more) perm.X and level.X. The perm.X-files specify the permsissions of files for securitylevel X and level.X specify other things like access to X-server, ... I suppose these files are changed when you change settings of msec through the gui.

In this directories you may also find some scripts that are executed ...

Somewhere there is also a file with a setting to enable a method to prevent buffer-overflows ... at the moment I can't remember the name of the method Mandrake uses, but I believe it is a wrapper around libc-library-calls(?). It's maybe located somewhere in /etc. I didn't test if changing this setting really enabled the protection.

Hopes this helps you some,

Michel

Edited by Michel