Compiling downloaded apps

Slight problem. I downloaded XFPROT and I need to run a ./configure on it apparently, before I can use make, and make install, etc.

However, it said I needed the GTK+ kit, which I downloaded, and also need to run a ./configure on this too. But I keep getting an error saying that there is no C compiler on my system.

What can I install to get around this?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

First, do not go installing GTK+ from source. Very bad for your health. :)

Install libgtk+2.0 (probably installed already) and libgtk+2.0-devel packages. Any time a compilation routine says you don't have foobar installed, the first thing to do is *always* to search in urpmi or the graphical installer tool for a package with a name like this: "libfoorbar-devel".

No C compiler is a bigger issue though :). You'll need to start off by installing the gcc package, but there'll be a lot more stuff you'll need. For information in future it's a good idea to always check the 'software development' group in the installer if you're at all likely to be building things from source; it will install gcc and all the other necessary things for building software. So start off by installing gcc and libgtk+2.0-devel, and take it one step at a time from there, try and work out which packages are missing from the error messages you get and install them via rpmdrake or urpmi. Good luck!

I tried to install the following:

libgtk+2.0_0-devel-2.2.4-9mdk

it then prompted for one of the following:

glibc-devel-2.3.3-12.8.100mdk or uClibc-devel-0.9.21-3mdk

I selected the glibc (it was by default anyway), and then I got an error message:

Sorry, the following packages can't be selected:

libgtk+2.0_0-devel-2.2.4-9mdk.i586 (due to missing libgdk_pixbuf2.0_0-devel-2.2.4-10.1.100mdk.i586

Maybe I should give up? :o

I've also noticed that because I downloaded 10.0 Official from a website, I'm missing the CD4. I only noticed this when thinking that if I install kdevelop I might be able to resolve the problem. Can I survive without this CD? (I've just burnt a 2GB DVD of 10.1 Official just in case I'm better upgrading).

I have an entry called "update_source" and have managed to get normal and security updates OK. I've not downloaded bug fixes, I thought I would do this if I had any probs.

So not sure, as to why they wouldn't install for me?