Intel motherboards [solved]

somethingx

I decided to buy the Intel D865GVHZ board.

Are there any other parts of the PC that may cause trouble with Linux? I read the Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO, but maybe there is something I missed (like FDD which I couldn't find there).

If you think in terms of printers, scanners, digital cameras, and such, there's alot of incompatible hardware. Lexmark is notorious for lack of support for Linux. Even Mandrake Powerpack does not support nVidia Quadro workstation cards, while SuSE Pro does.

Also Linksys WiFi cards are not supported in Linux. I got that straight from Linksys. The wired/wireless broadband G gateway/router works, so long as the linux box is connected via ethernet.

Edited by Sarissi

There is a problem after all.

The integrated video card is supported, but the monitor refresh rate is poor. I need to download the driver from Intel!

I tried to install it like the Read Me file says

rpm -i dri-I915-v1.1-20041217.i386.rpm

but I got an error message saying AGPGART module is not installed.

What does it mean?

Ah well, that's your problem then :). Change those values to the correct ones (30-70 and 50-130) and you should find much higher resolutions and refresh rates become available with no need to change driver. Was the installer not able to detect your monitor?

not really. If you know those are the correct values for your monitor, then not at all. A few years ago, monitors would not handle signals they couldn't manage gracefully, and yes, occasionally, they'd try their hardest and die excitingly. These days, they mostly just display a little message saying 'out of range' and don't explode colourfully at ALL, so boring. So even if you put in some ludicrous value and attempt to run the monitor at 2048x1536x200Hz, it's really not very likely to explode if it was manufactured in the last five years. If you set it to the correct values (as found in the manufacturer's specs) and then choose a resolution / refresh rate you know it's capable of, it's not dangerous at all, not even slightly.

In fact I always edit the config file by hand....

There are often lots of options the GUI tools don't take into account and unless you use a real opensource tool you are just using the distro specific stuff anyway and these are not likely to be as widely tested in terms of hardware as multi distro tools.

One good thing to play with is xf86cfg.

It lets you change the values and test... as the effective screen size changes etc. with refresh rates.

I have a projector for instance as my second screen, firstly its widescreen and secondly the resolutions etc. are weird. Without hand editing I would be completely lost since I run it as a seperate desktop completely. (i.e. localhost:1.0 and localhost:0.0)

If I coonect remotely then I connect to the :0.0 since the resolutions are normal whereas the others are widescreen.