Intel motherboards [solved]

somethingx

I want to buy a new Pentium/Celeron PC and I need to choose an integrated mobo which is compatible with Linux.

Intel provides drivers for Linux, so it seems a good choice. Unfortunately, Mandrake is not one of the distributions supported by Intel.

Does anybody have experience with Intel integrated motherboards?

Is it possible to use those drivers with Mandrake?

Yep, but you will find most of us here use AMD...

Its the same on most linux distro's... I switched and never looked back however i810 graphics is poor compared to NVIDIA and nfroce chipsets are well supported too.

Don't worry about Mandrake, if it works on linux it works on linux.. you might just need a specific kernel...

Also if you can take a live Cd (like knoppix or PC linuxOS) to the storeand TRY it.

There is support and Support - like 11mbit/sec on a 54 card or no 3d on a graphics card.. etc. and the absolute best way is to give it a try :D

that's my 2c... now wait for the rest... :D

Get a cheap nforce2 motherboard. Everything on it will work well in Linux, guaranteed. Any MDK since 10.0 will support the network interface and sound right out of the box, and will do non-3D accelerated graphics fine too. If you buy a box (or join the Club and download the Club version of 10.1 or 10.2 beta) it will install the nvidia driver and give you 3D acceleration out of the box, otherwise you can just install the nvidia driver yourself, it's easy following the instructions available on this very board.

Intel boards usually work fine too, but they're more expensive, so are Intel CPUs. A cheap nforce2 board and a Sempron 2400+ together should run you under $100.

I just built a cheap Celeron 2.26 GHz computer with a Matsonic 9158EP (Via P4M266A chipset with built in ATI Savage Video). Everything works right out of the box with Mandrake 10.0 Official. Of course, you can't expect this type of computer to have good framerates in Quake, but for typical Office / Multimedia player stuffs, it works nicely.

Also if you can take a live Cd (like knoppix or PC linuxOS) to the storeand TRY it. 

I don't think I can do that.

Get a cheap nforce2 motherboard.

That is not so simple. I searched for a cheap nforce2 motherboard that has LAN+VGA+SOUND on it and found only one

Epox EP-8RGM3I which is relatively cheap.

What do you think of it?

Everything on it will work well in Linux, guaranteed.

Isn't it possible that the integrated sound chipset is not supported (AD1888 for example) ?

Intel boards usually work fine too, but they're more expensive, so are Intel CPUs. A cheap nforce2 board and a Sempron 2400+ together should run you under $100.

Not exactly. I can get the Epox for about 110$ and Sempron 2500+ for 110$.

The Intel motherboard I'm thinking of buying is D865GVHZ (with LAN)

I can get it for 100$ and I can get Intel Celeron D 2.4Ghz for 110$. I can't tell which combination is better, but each is around 210$.

The store that I'm going to buy the PC, doesn't have Epox motherboards at all. I need to ask them to get it for me.

They are not thrilled about selling AMD and probably will try to convince me to buy Intel instead.

Is it really worth the hassle? Is the difference between the two boards noticeable?

Those are pretty expensive prices! Here's an nforce2 mobo for Canadian $74:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...TECH%20COMPUTER

Sempron 2400+ - it's CAN$92, bit more than I remembered, but less than you quoted: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...manufacture=AMD

Every nforce2 board I've ever come across has used snd-intel8x0 for audio, which works absolutely fine. LAN is handled by forcedeth, and video by nv or nvidia. Easy.

Having said that, now you mentioned the exact model of Intel mobo you're looking at, let me do some research...it seems from some elementary Googling that's it's a very standard motherboard with stock Intel audio, video and LAN components that would be perfectly well supported by MDK, so I wouldn't be at all worried about buying that board either. I picked the Celeron D for my own new desktop box (my first Intel box for several years), good pick...I put mine in a Shuttle Zen ST62K though :). It overclocked to 3.3GHz out of the box, hehe...

I prefer to buy a computer from a store that I know even if it's a bit more expensive.

Besides, there are stores that have lower prices for parts, but charge about 40$ for building the PC.

I thought I found another possible board - Asus p4vp-mx or Asus p4ge-mx, but they don't support DDR 400, so it would be a waste.

There's also Asus p4s800-mx, but I'm not sure its sound chipset AD1888 is supported.

I prefer to buy a computer from a store that I know even if it's a bit more expensive.

Besides, there are stores that have lower prices for parts, but charge about 40$ for building the PC.

Well I agree but then they should let you try a live CD...

Besides $40 is your choice...

If they wanna sell then they only need to attach a graphics card PSU/keyb/mouse and CD to the mobo, takes about 3 minutes maximum.. beleive it or not Im writing this from one right now.. its just a random set of components I wanted to test...

Lie adamw says the mainchipsets are supported, I *think* the AD1888 is since I remember seeing the driver... but to me the proof is testing them... it can also work and sound awfull!!!!

if you buy hardware that is pretty widely sold but that is so new that it is not supported....wait a while. it'll happen. probably quickly. there are few things right now that aren't supported even by proprietary software.

joneberger: like, well, what? none of the other standard bits of a PC (input peripherals, optical drives, floppy drive) are going to give you any grief under Linux, unless you go for something exotic like a Bluetooth keyboard or something. Only common bits of hardware that can give you grief that we haven't covered already are webcams and wireless cards, I didn't figure we were talking about those, though.