console based email app help [solved]

am back again :)

im tryin to use a command line email app to collect email and then pass the result of new emails to superkaramba, can anybody offer any help, i have had a look into pine and mutt but cant figure them out

maybe im just being dumb

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I'm gonna take a stab at this. I think what you need is fetchmail to fetch mail to your local spool (/var/spool/mail/<<username>>). As far as I know, mutt doesn't fetch, don't know about pine. Mutt can read mail from your local spool, though.

fetchmail is what you want to use, it will connect to your mail server, download your mail and dump it wherever you tell it to in a fairly standard format most mail clients will be able to read. Or you could probably configure it to just ask the server how many mails it's storing without downloading 'em, which would let you just use it as a monitoring tool and keep using whatever mail client you currently use to actually download and read the mail. Don't ask me how to set this up, the old command-line mail tools (fetchmail, procmail, sendmail) give me sharp headaches every time I try and work out how the heck you use 'em. But install fetchmail and read the manpage, see if you can figure it out. Then you'd just want a script that ran the fetchmail command you work out every ten seconds and passes the output into superkaramba, shouldn't be hard to hack up.

i have got fetchmail working (almost)

it checks my email, recognises if there is new mail but seems to hang when it comes to downloading it, if theres no mail it finished correctly

i thought to start with it was downloading it but takin its time, but it was a blank email with no subject, theoretically there should be very little in such an email and should only take a short time to download

p.s it cant seem to access gmail's server, i think its because it uses pop but im not sure if its pop2 or pop3, both dont seem to work, and gmail was the main account i wanted to use this for

Edited by garf

nice one, thats dorted it, i was almost there aswell, i was looking through my settings in thunderbird and realised it used port 995 to et in, just couldnt find the paramiter i needed in the fetchmail man page (it a beast of a man pages)

anywho, its working now, so ill carry on eworkin on my superkaramba project