Apacer flash drive help

Guest Freaky

Guest Freaky

I have an Apacer 64meg (usb) flash drive, that works perfectly on windows. But i cant get it linux to recognise it. Im fairly new to linux, and have acquired help from a friend, but he doesnt have a solution.

It'd be great if someone could help me out either by email, or reply in this thread.

Thanks.

note: I have cordless keyboard + mouse that run through USB, and work perfectly fine.

do you have MDK 10.1? If so, you might be running into the famous 'can't recognise badly formatted USB keys' problem. There's two basic solutions to that problem.

1: mount /dev/sda manually. From the console, as root, do this:

md /mnt/removable

mount /dev/sda /mnt/removable

cd /mnt/removable

ls

and you should see your files.

2: reformat the key in Windows XP. Apparently, XP formats USB keys properly. Once this is done, MDK should recognise and mount it when you plug it in, and create a desktop icon. When you're finished using the drive, *right-click the icon and select 'unmount'* before you unplug it, this is important (it's the same thing as Windows' Safely Unplug Hardware thingy). This way is easier for most people but isn't an option if you need to use the data that's on the key already and you can't reformat it because of that.

Guest Freaky
md /mnt/removable

mount /dev/sda /mnt/removable

cd /mnt/removable

ls

That worked, it showed all the files on my flash drive.

However, step 2, when you said to format the drive. I did that in XP, then i rebooted mandrake, and the flash drive didnt show on the desktop.

I´m not an expert or anything, but there are two things I can think of here.

First, have you run mandrakeupdate and updated all the bugfix packages? I know default MDK 10.1 had a couple of problems with my usb key (though not what you´re describing).

Second, is your key being mounted when you plug it in or just not showing up on the desktop? open konqueror to /mnt/removable after you plug it in and see. If it´s being mounted and just no icon then you may not have the right icon settings for your desktop (specifically show mounted removable media).

But that´s all my little brain can think of, if these don´t work you´ll have to ask someone else :P

-Mike

good advice from mikeee, there. Definitely run MandrakeUpdate then plug in the newly formatted key and see if you can see anything in /mnt/removable . If you don't I might want to take a look at some of your logs and see what's happening :). Do let us know.

Guest Freaky

When i type /mnt/removable it only shows "Up to higher level directory" link, which leads back to "cdrom1, cdrom 2, " ect..

I had a look and i couldnt find and update to download? Could you perhaps post a link?

I downloaded this version of mandrake about a month ago.