Cruzer Mini 256mg on Mandrake 10

Guest variableenigma

Guest variableenigma

I'm totally new to linux. I have a SanDisk Cruzer Mini that I used to use on Windows. Now I need to mount it on linux (I use Mandrake 10), and I don't know how! I've been trying to research the topic, but most of the methods I'm finding don't make sense to me.

Is there a simple enough way to configure it to just "plug and play"? I could really use some step-by-step instruction.

Thanks in advance,

Amanda

Guest variableenigma
When you plug it in it should bring up a new drive icon on your desktop

It does create a new drive icon. I can click it, and Konqueror comes up, but it hangs. It does this every time.

I've also noticed that the whole system acts funny when the drive is plugged in. My internet connection is bad, my applications do not run properly, and everything is just a little off. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Wasn't there a known bug like this with non-updated KDE on MDK 10.1? variableenigma, if you run MDK 10.1, you might want to run MandrakeUpdate and install all available updates, then try it again. Otherwise, it's likely a hardware issue. Try running the Control Center, go to the section where you can configure the boot process, and disable APIC. Then reboot and see if it works any better. Let us know if you have any trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem but found the answer -

That flash drive is factory formatted as FAT 12 which is not recognized.

You need to re-format the flash drive as FAT (FAT 16) and it will then be plug-n-play.

Regards,

GEWB

• 5 weeks later...
Wasn't there a known bug like this with non-updated KDE on MDK 10.1?

Yeah, this happened to me with 10.1 - the USB drive automounted ok but then starting Konqueror or other applications just froze. If you open Konqueror first before plugging in the drive it's kind of ok but there's still a process churning in the background (kinit:kded iirc) that sucks CPU. Took a while to find out that this was a "known bug" (although not mentioned in the mandrake errata). Ended up copying files over with the console, unplugging the drive and doing a kill -9 on the CPU-eating process.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm totally new to linux. I have a SanDisk Cruzer Mini that I used to use on Windows. Now I need to mount it on linux (I use Mandrake 10), and I don't know how! I've been trying to research the topic, but most of the methods I'm finding don't make sense to me.

Is there a simple enough way to configure it to just "plug and play"? I could really use some step-by-step instruction.

Thanks in advance,

Amanda

I have mini ScanDisk USB too and everything run properly in my Mandrake 10.1 OE after I update my kdebase and other stuff related to KDE. Default KDE from Mandrake 10.1 CD Installation has bug with USB and make Konqueror get Frozen if U plugin Something to your USB port.