Nvidia driver - nvidia.ko missing revisit (solved)

kristi

Hi!

$ uname -r

2.6.11-2mdk

$ ls -l /usr/src

linux -> linux-2.6.11-2mdk/

linux-2.6.11-2mdk/

RPM/

$ ls -l /lib/modules

2.6.11-2mdk/

2.6.8.1-12mdk/

I compiled the 7167 in this environment but this is hang up the system, the 6629 die with that error.

I need to uninstall 2.6.8.1-12 kernel to compile nvidia drivers on 2.6.11-2? :jester:

Thx n F1!

I compiled the 7167 in this environment but this is hang up the system, the 6629 die with that error.

I need to uninstall 2.6.8.1-12 kernel to compile nvidia drivers on 2.6.11-2? 

The only experiences I have had that might be related to your situation are:

1. Re-installing the kernel-source has led to a successful build of the nvidia driver where it did not build before.

2. For hangs, I seem to solve that by adding the following to the Device section of xorg.conf:

Option "nvagp" "0"

There is so much hardware variation that it is impossible to say what works for one will work for another.

If you didn't know already, there is an nvidia forum here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdispl...p?s=&forumid=14

I need to uninstall 2.6.8.1-12 kernel to compile nvidia drivers on 2.6.11-2?  :jester:

Thx n F1!

That should work in my humble estimation - the pros here know more (one just posted above me while I was typing this!). You might take a look at/post your nvidia install log. /var/log/nvidia-installer.log or something like that.

Kristi

gottia be a noob and ask what's F1? :woops:

F1 calls Help in almost all Windowze prograns and somes Linuxes prograns. :screwy:

Thanks 4 ur help, I will try that things.

My options nvagp was "3", I changed to "0" as u sayd. Give me a day to try. I will post the result here.

What means the option nvagp 0, 1, 2 or 3?

Edited by ethraza

I changed the Option "nvagp" "3" to Option "nvagp" "0" and it continued to hang.

I remover and reinstalled the kernel-source and when try to recomplile the 6629 driver the error:

/root/tmp/selfgz19095/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:2992: w

arning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h

:578)

make[4]: ** [/root/tmp/selfgz19095/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1/usr/src/nv

/nv.o] Erro 1

make[3]: ** [_module_/root/tmp/selfgz19095/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1/us

r/src/nv] Erro 2

make[2]: ** [modules] Erro 2

NVIDIA: left KBUILD.

nvidia.ko failed to build!

make[1]: ** [module] Erro 1

make: ** [module] Erro 2

-> Error.

ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.

I changed my ATI radeon for the NVIDIA GeForce becouse ATI don't know how to do drivers for Linux and the NVIDIA comes with that now. :wall:

What I do? Install a SIS? :lol2:

lol, is this. Thanks the help (F1).

I think that the 6629 drivers will not compile with 2.6.11 kernel and I need to wait the next realise from NVIDIA without this bug like in 7167 .

Guest BOCTOK

Hi all,

I'v spent the last couple of weeks trying to get the nVidia driver to work on Mandrake 10.1...to no avail.

I saw this post and thought, at last, the problem is solved. Not.

I dl'ed the 10.2rc1 and installed clean. Then I installed the kernel-source from the CD. The I ran the sh NVIDIA-xxxxx.run and I got the same thing I had with 10.1 - could not load nvidia.ko....kernel source is wrong.....

How can that be?!?! Is MDK including mismatching sources in their distros?

I uninstalled the sources and re-installed 3 times. Still no nvidia.ko. It simply isn't building it. I went to the directory and it is not there. I searched the entire computer and it is not there. Where is it?!?!?! :wall:

The really painful thing about this is that my other computer running 10.1 has a Radeon 9700 Pro that is full 3D, direct rendering=yes. Isn't that a switch. Now I can't get tried and true on Linux nVidia card working.

I just noticed that 10.2rc2 is out on the FTP servers. Maybe I'll give this one last chance, before I go to Gentoo or something. :gentoo:

Guest BOCTOK

OK,

Yesterday, I noticed that they were changing the FTP servers over to 10.2rc2. Right after that, they took those links off of the mirror list. I had a couple of the links in my ftp prog, so I dl'ed 10.2rc2. Got up this a.m. and installed. Same thing, unable to load kernel module nvidia.ko. The whole deal with the kernel-source not matching the kernel. :angry:

I didn't have time to uninstall and re-install the source before I had to leave for work. I'll try that this evening.

kernel is 2.6.11-6mdk, in case you're wondering. RC2 looks pretty good otherwise. "Limited Edition" looks better than "test". Just need direct rendering! Maybe Nvidia will come out with a working driver soon.

Using Mandrake 10.1 (2.6 kernel) with a GForce4 MX I was having many problems getting the Nvidia driver working here. (All of the 6000 series drivers have failed for one reason or another)

Trying to install the latest 7167 Nvidia driver... I was getting the following:

could not load nvidia.ko

I was able to compile successfully after running the following... which I found on the nvidia site ( http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...2_1.0-7167.html ) (ONLY for 2.6 kernels)

modprobe -q agpgart

Another thought I have occasionally had on this - make sure you boot in to the kern that you 're going to use - in other words, don't boot kern 1, then urpmi load kern and source for 6 and try a nvidia build against 6- it won't work. reboot to kern 6 , then it shold work.

Hope that helps.

Kristi

peas

I like that penguin scoopy.

• 1 month later...

Hi! If anyone come to this solved topic to get info abount nvidia drivers...

To compile, the kernel-source-stripped don't work, you need the full kernel-source.

The thing that make my PC so unstable was the option Renderaccell on xorg.conf. This turns on and off the hardware accel rendering but is unstable. If u let this true, face some crashes of ur PC.

To test if it is crashing u, call the KDE Control Center. With Renderaccel true, this allways crash. :cheesy:

But in the end... Linux Rock's, especially Mandriva! :headbang:

Edited by ethraza