Nvidia driver - nvidia.ko missing revisit (solved)

kristi

EDIT - this was my procedural booboo - see down near end of posts on this thread.

This ends well!...

I bittorrented down 10.2rc1 checked the mdsums while burning the 3 isos with K3b. All went easily. Full install went easily (I have it format / and /boot ). It seem to have no prob with my /home partition.

I installed the kernel-2.6.11-1mdk source from cd3 via system/config/packaging/install software.

Tried to install Nvidia 7167 per Adam (thanks!!!) but got my nemesis - the "nvidia.ko" is missing. Checked the kern number with uname -a, looked at it in /lib/modules/ checked the source in /usr/src

checked the presence ot .options , checked the link, though not by clicking on it which I did the second time around.

I assume I have made a mistake. I use remove software to remove the source.

I go to mandrakeusers easyurpmi and set mine up for cooker and run the commands. Now I go look at "browse all available" and see the kernel-2.6.11-1mdk that I had installed before, and a kernel-2.6.11-2mdk which I know I can't use cause it won't match my kern. So I tell it to install kernel-2.6.11-1mdk again and watch my cd to see that, yes, in fact it is getting it off the cd again. I check everything very carefully, several times. Then I try to install 7167 and of course (Murphy is very clear about these things) it installs flawlessly.

I do not know the answer other than that I must have made some stupid mistake in there somewhere, but thought I'd run it by you guys and see if you see something.

But 10.2rc1 is up and purring! And VERY happy they put 2.6.11 in there!!!!!!!!!

:drum:

Kristi

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I have no idea why it would work the second time and not the first. But it is a Beta distro you're working with :P.

My only thought is that maybe you ran the installer as regular user the first time. :shrug:

Edit: To clarify. Are you saying that 2.6.11.* does not need a patch with the latest nvidia driver? It works out of the box?

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Yes, 7167 is patched for 2.6.10+ kernels. (and of course we'll ship either 7167 or a patched 6629 on the 10.2 commercial versions). I don't know why it didn't work the first time either, kristi, never seen that happen. Sorry :)

Don't appologize, I don't think it's an MDK prob - I think it's a Kristi procedure prob: I had carried some procedure over from Xandros and I think it tripped me up cause when I didn't use it (the second try) things worked perfectly. (namely make oldconfig and make prepare-all) I think MDK URMPI works beautifully. Let that be a lesson to me!!! :cheesy:

Thanks for looking in!

Kristi

:thanks:

Edited by kristi

FWIW, there have been a couple of times when the build of the nvidia module failed for me, the latest involving "nvidia.ko" is missing, IIRC, and I got success by removing the kernel source and reinstalling it. Since I have been building kernels against sources, I thought it might have had something to do with the sources being 'not pristine'. I did 'make clean' and 'make mrproper' against the used sources but that did not help.

Hi everyone.

I'm using MDK 10.1 with kernel-2.6.11.2mdk-1-1mdk (Very happy with this kernel, good bttv patchs) and kernel-source-2.6-2.6.11-2mdk.

I installed the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7167-pkg1.run, and it compilled and installed flawless. But I noticed that sometimes my system hang, when I go to net with Firefox or Konqueror.

So I turned to default nv drivers to test, and nothing hanged again. So I decided to back to NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run that worked great without hangs.

The tail of my nvidia-installer.log:

/root/tmp/selfgz21384/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c: In fun

ction `nv_agp_init':

/root/tmp/selfgz21384/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:2992: w

arning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h

:578)

make[3]: ** [/root/tmp/selfgz21384/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1/usr/src/nv

/nv.o] Erro 1

make[2]: ** [_module_/root/tmp/selfgz21384/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1/us

r/src/nv] Erro 2

NVIDIA: left KBUILD.

nvidia.ko failed to build!

make[1]: ** [module] Erro 1

make: ** [module] Erro 2

-> Error.

ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.

Now my options are: Use 7167 and need to put my finger on the power sometimes or use nv drivers without 3D.

But I like to play Mu Online with wine and need 3D drivers. :P

Only to document, I use xorg-x11-6.8.2-0.3mdk too.

Any clue?

Yes, 7167 is patched for 2.6.10+ kernels. (and of course we'll ship either 7167 or a patched 6629 on the 10.2 commercial versions). I don't know why it didn't work the first time either, kristi, never seen that happen. Sorry :)

Don't appologize, I don't think it's an MDK prob - I think it's a Kristi procedure prob:

Confirmed.

I did a re-install of 10.2rc1 and installed the kern source off the cd and ran the 7167 nvidia install and it went perfectly.

My booboo!

Thanks to all who looked in. Only prob I have now is with guarddor not engaging settings on reboot but I put that in bugs.

Kristi

FWIW, there have been a couple of times when the build of the nvidia module failed for me, the latest involving "nvidia.ko" is missing, IIRC, and I got success by removing the kernel source and reinstalling it.  Since I have been building kernels against sources, I thought it might have had something to do with the sources being 'not pristine'.  I did 'make clean' and 'make mrproper' against the used sources but that did not help.

Thanks for looking in, Rolf! Yep - it was my procedure that was messing me up. it was when I STOPPED making oldconfig and make prepare-all that it worked just fine - but yeah, I always have a clean slate - but mkclean should clean that up, I would think... Maybe the sources aren't "pristene" - I haven't played with 2.6.11-2mdk yet. Who knows which kernel they (mdksoft) will go with !!! They switched midstream and upset a couple of folks, but, hey, I think they would have been shooting bugs in 2.6.10 forever! - no way I would have wanted to release that to commercial! Needs to be much more solid than that!!!

Course now that I understand what nvidia.ko missing really means (duh)(thanks guys!!!) It's just a simple matter of checking things and maybe redoing the source install.

Have you played with 2.6.11-2mdk? I may try fooling with that to see if the iptables replacement is fixed in that one.

Kristi

Hi everyone.

I'm using MDK 10.1 with kernel-2.6.11.2mdk-1-1mdk (Very happy with this kernel, good bttv patchs) and kernel-source-2.6-2.6.11-2mdk.

I installed the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7167-pkg1.run, and it compilled and installed flawless. But I noticed that sometimes my system hang, when I go to net with Firefox or Konqueror.

So I turned to default nv drivers to test, and nothing hanged again. So I decided to back to NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run that worked great without hangs.

The tail of my nvidia-installer.log:

/root/tmp/selfgz21384/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c: In fun

ction `nv_agp_init':

/root/tmp/selfgz21384/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:2992: w

arning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h

:578)

make[3]: ** [/root/tmp/selfgz21384/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1/usr/src/nv

/nv.o] Erro 1

make[2]: ** [_module_/root/tmp/selfgz21384/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1/us

r/src/nv] Erro 2

NVIDIA: left KBUILD.

nvidia.ko failed to build!

make[1]: ** [module] Erro 1

make: ** [module] Erro 2

-> Error.

ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.

Now my options are: Use 7167 and need to put my finger on the power sometimes or use nv drivers without 3D.

But I like to play Mu Online with wine and need 3D drivers.  :P

Only to document, I use xorg-x11-6.8.2-0.3mdk too.

Any clue?

nvidia won't install it the kernel release is different from the source release. (that's all the nvidia.ko message is saying) Do a uname -r to find out your kern modules release. Also check the numbers in /lib/modules/ Also, do you have both kernels in there so you're doing a multiboot at LILO time?

hth

Kristi

[..]  Only prob I have now is with guarddor not engaging settings on reboot but I put that in bugs.

Kristi

Kristi, there was a problem with Mandrake's guarddog and 2.6 kernels where the guarddog firewall rules were not getting loaded at boot. You only have to open guarddog and OK to get the rules loaded. Simon Edwards, who writes guarddog, made a Mandrake rpm that got around that problem and I have been using it since. Not sure if this is your situation as I am not monitoring Mandrake's guarddog package. Simon has an rpm and urpmi source at his web page:

http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/#download

About 2.6.11-2mdk, I have loaded it and run it, mostly because I have trouble with my Plextor sata dvd-rw not working on my silicon image 3112 onboard chip, except it works fine in XP, so I hope for improvements from the kernel. They don't seem to be there in this one and alsa stopped working for me. :rolleyes: The oss driver works, though.

I wonder which rpm up there is the right one - I had tried 2.4.0-1mdk and 2.4.0-2mdk. I'll have to go check his site again. Meantime I took it down and put up firestarter. Odly, Guarddog had worked perfectly for me on 10.2b3 (2.6.10-x) Thanks for the tip.

I did a urpmi.update -a and then urpmi --auto-select -v (with help from Adam!) since I set myself up for cooker a bit back. That didn't produce any noticeable change (no smoke!) so I installed 2.6.11-2, the source, and nvidia 7167 - went in as smooth as silk.

I've been wasting a few hours tonight playing with a new Samsung TS-552 DVD/CD burner - it seems that xine just can't understand that that first drive is not a cd burner anymore but dvd capable - I think the fact that I left the old dvd in as a second drive confused it. Mplayer picked it up after I changed the settings, but I think I'll open the box and pull the cable off the old one and see if xine likes it better... minor stuff!!!

But this build just keeps rocking! I'm going to stay current with cooker at least until 10.2 stabilizes.

But working with stable releases is boring! :cheesy:

Kristi

Hi!

$ uname -r

2.6.11-2mdk

$ ls -l /usr/src

linux -> linux-2.6.11-2mdk/

linux-2.6.11-2mdk/

RPM/

$ ls -l /lib/modules

2.6.11-2mdk/

2.6.8.1-12mdk/

I compiled the 7167 in this environment but this is hang up the system, the 6629 die with that error.

I need to uninstall 2.6.8.1-12 kernel to compile nvidia drivers on 2.6.11-2? :jester:

Thx n F1!