Stacking multiple URPMI sources

What I'm gonna do is have say ftp.esat.net (fast but fulla mistakes) named 'main', and gd.tuwien.ac.at (quite comprehensive but damn slow) 'main2', assuming that's enough to give esat precedence.

There is no way to consistently guarantee that system will work, and so trying to automate it is going to be difficult to achieve results. Although servers go down from time to time, the main problem of not being able to connect is often "over connection limit" Some mirrors on easy-urpmi allow 500 or more connections, others only around 50. Some don't have a connection limit but have a bandwidth limit, when its reached.....you can't connect.

Yep and I have a feeling it disconnects between individual dloads so you might dload one but then the next time you are refused?

Rafael has just very recently implemented an option into urpmi to allow it to retry the download a few times if it fails, which should help with busy mirrors. This will be in 10.2 final. I forget the name of the parameter, I'm at my other work's Windows machine again so I can't check. I think it might be in 10.2RC1, but not sure.

Yep and I have a feeling it disconnects between individual dloads so you might dload one but then the next time you are refused?

Yes, it can and does happen. (though not too often for me )

Heh ... with gd.tuwien it tends to happen _during_ downloads. Add to that an average speed about 25kBps, and I think I'll be leaving that'un out of my masterplan (whatever it is...)

Had a look at man urpmi and I reckon the options

--media

--excludemedia

--sortmedia

can help classifying the sources. Now just to put it all together...