samba newbie

dubbrich

I'm a samba newbie and having trouoble with my file sharing. I use the swat interface to configure the smb file because I find that it more user freindly than the notes in the file. Anyway, I have 1 pc running mandrake 10.1 with samba. and a windows laptop. each pc is assigned to their own workgroup/ domain only because the laptop is used for my work and it's setup on the work domain. The workgroup the linux box is on is "MDKGROUP" and the laptop is on "FAIRPOINT" domain. Here are my questions:

1. My linux box is running with windows xp. I would like to share a directory "/multimedia" that is on an ntfs drive with the windows laptop.

2. I can see the MDKGROUP workgroup on the windows laptop but cannot access it.

here is my smb.conf:

[global]

workgroup = MDKGROUP

server string = Samba Server %v

encrypt passwords = Yes

log file = /var/log/samba2/log.%m

max log size = 50

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

printcap name = cups

dns proxy = No

printer admin = @adm

hosts allow = 192.168.1.102 (this is the laptop IP)

printing = cups

[/multimedia]

comment = Media (M)

path = /multimedia

hosts allow =

I have more stuff in the config file, but I figured this is all the the stuff that's relavent to my prob.

Edited by dubbrich

I believe that to be ablt access shares you have to be in the same workgroup. That's the idea behind workgroups.

you should be able to access what ever workgroup it is, as long as you belong to the same network.. and no firewall are trying to prevent you from accessing the host on that workgroup, ... so dubb, you better check your mandy if built-in firewall has been enabled then... when trying to access mandy box from your xp, on the process, try to check your logs.. #tail -f /var/log/messages so you may able to watch why you're not able to access that box from xp, assuming, and as you've said, you can see MDKGROUP

Edited by aioshin