Ndiswrapper - installed fine, but not working...

netsoul

Hi guys,

I am fighting with mandrake 10.1 and D-Link DWL-650+ on Toshiba laptop. I exactly followed the instructions on the project's site - it compiled and installed successfully. But it doesn't work - no ping - it says "destination host unreachable" - looks like there is a routing problem or what? No firewall is installed.

I assigned IP. but can not ping to my router. Any ideas what I dod wrong? When I look at mandrake's Control Center's Monitor Connections section it says "not connected".

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Here are my settings:

ifconfig wlan0

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:C8:16:DC:A5

inet addr:192.168.20.3 Bcast:192.168.20.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::280:c8ff:fe16:dca5/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:93 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:4074 (3.9 Kb)

Memory:21010000-21010fff

iwconfig wlan0

wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"Netsoul" Nickname:"LinSoul-Laptop"

Mode:Managed Frequency:2.432GHz Access Point: 00:40:05:57:1C:08

Bit Rate=22Mb/s Tx-Power:0 dBm Sensitivity=0/3

RTS thr=4096 B Fragment thr=4095 B

Encryption key:0837-8378-3783-77 Security mode:open

Power Management:off

Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-54 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0

Tx excessive retries:5 Invalid misc:5 Missed beacon:0

route -n

Kernel IP routing table

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

192.168.20.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0

0.0.0.0 192.168.20.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0

cat /etc/sysconfig/network

HOSTNAME=LinSoul-Laptop

NETWORKING=yes

GATEWAY=192.168.20.1

GATEWAYDEV=wlan0

Ping to local host is OK.

If you are able to transmit but not receive, there's probably something about your wireless card's config that the router doesn't like.

The only thing that jumps out at me is that the security mode is wrong; if you are using an encryption key, the mode should be 'restricted'. If you are entering the config manually instead of using an ifcfg-wlan0 file, try changing the directive 'key XXXX-XXXX-XX' to 'key restricted XXXX-XXXX-XX'.

If that still gets you the same results, you could try (briefly) disabling encryption in your router and see if you can connect without it. Just to possibly narrow-down the problem.

BTW, when you say you've followed the instructions, did you check the Wiki page for Mandrake and follow the stuff about removing the old, preinstalled version of ndiswrapper? This can be critical depending on what card you have.

Also, what make and model is your router?

BTW, when you say you've followed the instructions, did you check the Wiki page for Mandrake and follow the stuff about removing the old, preinstalled version of ndiswrapper? This can be critical depending on what card you have.

Also, what make and model is your router?

Thanks for quck response. I followed the instructions on the Wiki page and I checked the presence of the the ndiswrapper before the installation - and it was NOT installed.

As to the reuter - it is D-Link DI-604, AP - D-Link DWL-900AP+.

I'll try to play without encryption.

P.S. I also would like to note that originally I set 'key restricted XXXX-XXXX-XX' but in that case it even did not recognize the AP (the hw address was 00:00:00.... and SSID was "any")

Edited by netsoul

Are you sure? I thought the kernel-module is always installed, even if the RPM package is not. Do you have this file:

/lib/modules/2.6.8-12/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko.gz

[the number in the middle might be different depending on what kernel version you currently have]

That's the real baddie.

Dunno if it's essential to uninstall the new version, but I'd do so, if only to avoid confusion.

The Mandy 10.1 discs come with ndiswrapper 0.9.1 (the RPM that is) - you might want to install a newer version, either by RPM or building from source.

TIP: you can get Mandrake-specific RPMs that aren't in your update sources by searching on rpm.pbone.net or rpmfind.net

If you look back in the Wiki,

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki...Mandrake%2010.1

that tells you about the removal process. Let us know if you get stuck.

OK. Removed everything, re-installed everything. The same thing :-(

What I notete however - the PWR light is on, but the data transmission is on ONLY once as the card is detected or when I remove/insert the card. Then I see the PWD led only. BUT, when I remove ndiswrapper from the memory it starts blinking as if it sends data... That's pretty wierd. I can't understand what's up.

Edited by netsoul

Well, it finally worked but in a little bit strange way.

I removed the ndiswrapper and installed the acx100 drivers (http://acx100.sourceforge.net/)/ It was all the same - installed fine, but when time came to ping - "host unreachble". I turned off WEP and turned it on back - nope. I ifuped and ifdoned and on a tenth or twentieth itiration in worked!

I still can not understand why because I didn't do any chages during last 3-5 ifup/ifdown iterations. So now I'll have to understand why it happened and to check if it will still work after reboot.

Thanks for you help.