New Programs for Linux

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joeboomer628

I DL'ed the Nerolinux pkg and put it on Mandrake 10.1. They used the GUI from Gnome-toaster, sort of. It's not exactly alike but they acknowledge the borrow. K3B runs circles around it. IMHO not worth the time, yet.

i havent tried nerolinux yet, as i dont have a windows copy of nero 6, so i dont have a serial number. from what i've read, it doesnt check md5sums. that seems to be at least one major draw back.

swannema

Mar 12 2005, 04:12 AM

Post #23| 

Beta Code

Group: Members

Member No.: 838

I know why I prefer Plextor.

Btw I just installed Nero, I found my liscence after all.

Funny thing,it gives you the choice to run as a demo.

I just burned an ISO image and it worked fine, the cd booted as it should. Tried the same with K3B and works just the same. Nero is slightly faster, but does not check the image before it starts burning. This is one of the great features of K3B, it makes sure your file is not corruped before it starts burning.

http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=12634&st=20 post 23

The only thing lacking in Linux, is UDF Packet Writing (aka InCD) for using cd-rw and dvd+RW/-RW, as we are used to in Windows.

It's already here. pktcdvd. It's still considered experimental and it makes my 680 MB CDRW only 535 MB when I format it and prepare it for packet writing, but we're getting there.

Meh, k3b is the only program I know of that automatically checks md5sums.

Besides, its not hard to do so yourself.

iphitus

edit: I might add, I've only checked an MD5SUM on an ISO once. And that was after I successfully used the ISO, I was curious as to how to check it. I've downloaded pleenty of ISOs and never had a problem with any.

Edited by iphitus

As I see it. Nero Linux is a "test product" to see if it can sell. It's understandable that they havn't added all the features there is from Nero win, it would be "waste" of work if noone is interested in their Linux Product and how many downloads there is. So as I see it it's test product. But again I could be wrong, just specualation I made.

.:=The AI Dude=:.

iph, maybe you download isos with p2p like bittorrent or edonkey - in which case, the file integrity is already checked.

Try downloading a large file from ftp, resuming with a not so kosher ftp client, and all that under win98. Wanna bet your md5sum isn't ok?

Aside that, I haven't had an incorrect md5sum on Linux AFAIR, downloading from ftp mirrors or whereever (or with bittorrent).

The only thing lacking in Linux, is UDF Packet Writing (aka InCD) for using cd-rw and dvd+RW/-RW, as we are used to in Windows.

It's already here. pktcdvd. It's still considered experimental and it makes my 680 MB CDRW only 535 MB when I format it and prepare it for packet writing, but we're getting there.

Well, I am used to the 535 MB CD-RW. I do know that k3b can supposedly format DVD+-RWs, but, I have been afraid to to try. Still, I am glad to know that progress is being made in this area. I would hope that this would become a standard part of the kernel at some point. (module or whatever)

Thank you for the info, Steve.

I've heard that a lot of folks prefer K3B over Nero/Win

FlexBeta did a comparison. Nero doesn't come out well.

http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=86

Favourite quote: "NeroLinux is just not worth the time to learn how to use or even download while K3b is still around."

(Edit - sorry: pasted the wrong link. The link above should now be correct.)

Edited by sellis

K3B does dvd burning just fine, including dvd+rw rewriting.

Note that in fact, one could put an arbitrary filesystem (incl ext3 or reiser4) on dvd+rw.

The only reason why this isn't very practical is that the media can only be rewritten 1000 times (approximately).

Find more info here:

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

(includes info on dvd+mrw, why + is better than - at least from a technical standpoint, and more)

It is surprising how this awesomely CD burning suite has not been ported to run on Windows; for it would also give the Windows version of Linux a run for its money; or at least a tie.

The Windows version of Linux?

It's amazing what a little CD burning app can do... :mr-green:

Or they must be talking about this: http://www.mslinux.org/ !!