New Programs for Linux

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in more info on how NeroLinux compares to K3B.

What features does it have extra, what does it lack?

From the screenshots and info on the website, it looks very similar in functionality. I wonder if it can actually do anything interesting that K3B cannot.

It's nice to see Nero taking Linux more seriously, but frankly, I think it's a bit late...

Not really, I might go and getmyself a copy of this Nero one, mainly because I dont have any KDE stuff installed, and I sure as hell aint installing it to get K3B

I dont think it's too late. I think its awesome that we have a reputable windows company porting their program.

Dont beat them into the ground, we want more companies doing this.

I had a Nero licence left over from my Windows days, so I downloaded the NeroLinux and installed it.

It looks OK, it doesn't have anywhere near the features that the Windows Nero has, and I couldn't see anything it could do the K3B can't. Also it doesn't fit into the system window design. Its like StarOffice or aMSN or one of those that has the old X-Windows style. Very generic.

Anyway I tried burning a DVD ISO that I had made as a backup for one of my movies. The burn went off without a hitch, but the DVD doesn't work in any player. :furious3: Bummer. I then burned the SAME ISO with K3B and it burned perfectly and played perfectly (in fact my kid is watching it right now).

So:

Nero 0

K3B 1

Still its cool that Ahead Software is actually making an attempt to provide software for the Linux community. It shows how much we're growing! :)

I am going to try a bootable CD burn next, will report the results. :thumbs:

Nero 6.6 is the best

but th linux version is poor compared with the windows version

Linux Version

Nero Burning Rom

Windows Version

Nero StartSmart 2

Nero Burning ROM 6

Nero Express 6

NeroVision Express 3

Nero PhotoSnap

Nero Recode 2

Nero ShowTime 2

Nero MediaHome

Nero BackItUp

Nero Wave Editor 2

Nero SoundTrax

Nero Media Player

Nero Cover Designer

Nero Toolkit

Nero ImageDrive

InCD 4

It's very similiar to K3b at the moment, but if they updating nero Linux as they updating the Nero windows I'm sure we'll get a very cool CD/DVD burner in the near future.

Also it's great for those people using Gnome dekstop (or other) who won't install KDE stuff on their computers :thumbs:

I don't think the look is that bad:

This Pixel32 is a mad wee program. And I do mean wee... the program folder is under 10MB!

It is buggy as hell, but I reckon it's one to watch. I'm tempted to get the $32 licence, since it covers all OS ports and goes up to version 2.0 (and it's still beta right now).

It's really trying hard to look like PhotoShop, right down to the splash screen, but I wonder what GUI toolkit they used? There aren't any obvious libs installed, and in the 'Skins' folder there's just an .ini file that describes various colour, dimension and style properties. Look below and tell me if you recognise it.

post-4544-1110818698_thumb.jpg

Then you can go back to talking about Nero :P

Look below and tell me if you recognise it.

Actually it looks a lot like Adobe ImageReady 6 to me... which is basically Photoshop, but especially tailored for web graphics, animations etc. (I made my avatar with that ;) )

Actually it looks a lot like Adobe ImageReady 6 to me... which is basically Photoshop, but especially tailored for web graphics, animations etc. (I made my avatar with that ;) )

No argument there ... I was really thinking of the actual GUI engine it uses though. Could it be completely the developer's work? It's kinda like a very basic QT style, but I dunno...

ai: Not really, GNOME is finally getting some decent CD burning apps. gnomebaker and graveman are both looking very nice in Cooker, I use gnomebaker as my standard burning software now. I agree up until a few months ago this was a serious problem for GNOME, though...

I'm with iphitus - K3B is good, but not worth installing kde base for.

It's a pity Nero isn't open source, but it isn't expensive. I detest KDE, so being able to have a good app for this without having to instal KDE base is fantastic.

The only feature I am interested in Nero for Windows that I cannot have in K3B is creating VCDs without messing with resolutions, framerates, codecs, etc. Otherwise, K3B is much better than Nero in any format.

For those who have Nero for Linux, please check whether it is so.