New Programs for Linux

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I'm gonna check it out. I have a registrated Nero for windows (bought it some years ago) and I can download Nero Linux for free because I have a registrated version for windows.

I've heard that a lot of folks prefer K3B over Nero/Win (and of course some just see it as a Nero clone), so I'll be watching with interest to see how Nero/Linux squares up.

(By the way, I'm in that first camp. K3B is one of the BEST things about Linux for my money ... or lack of...)

Pixel32 sure looks hot, not to mention the interface looks just slightly familiar ... but that's enough about cloning ;) - anyone tried it?

I've heard that a lot of folks prefer K3B over Nero/Win (and of course some just see it as a Nero clone), so I'll be watching with interest to see how Nero/Linux squares up.

(By the way, I'm in that first camp. K3B is one of the BEST things about Linux for my money ... or lack of...)

Pixel32 sure looks hot, not to mention the interface looks just slightly familiar ... but that's enough about cloning ;) - anyone tried it?

this is what i've heard to. apparently nero doesnt check md5sum. http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showto...=20entry71429

I mentioned Pixel32 before and I've had a bit of a play and its not that great - tried a bit of photoshopping and it was hard work, though not as much as the GIMP (GIMP is great, but not so easy when you've spent years using PSP and the like. Pixel is also not F/OSS software - no big problem and its good that its there, but I'm not sure about paying $32 in the hope that the everything gets sorted for the final release.

Nero is a good thing - not necessarily because its anything special, but because it means that some attention is being paid to linux.

I've tried Pixel32. Sure it lacks of some cool gimp stuff, but I'm sure they do something with it in futher release. On the plus side, it's much easier to use than gimp. Nice and easy gui, easy to find the stuff.

Crikey. Just going through the pixel32 site and it looks frickin' AWESOME!

http://pixel32.box.sk/index.php?cat=Screenshots

There're features here that I'd have loved in Photo$hop or Gimp. Sadly I can't find any reviews on it online, but then it _is_ only alpha...

AI, where did you hear about it? Was there any further info/review?

Anyways, I'm gonna squeeze it onto the last free corner of my Windoze and give it a whirl. <EXCITED!>

I saw someone posted it at Ubuntu forums. So I just passed the info to MUB :)

But impressive that the Pixel32 cover all these platforms: DOS, Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP, Linux, BeOS/Zeta, Mac OS X, MorphOS, QNX and Solaris

Good news that more of the major Win software makers like Nero, Symantec (pcAnywhere, anti-virus for enterprise servers) are starting to pay some attention to Linux.

Actually I don't miss Nero when I'm away from Windoze and only have Nero 5.5 anyway so don't qualify for a free download. But Pixel32 does look way cool. I thought I'd at least try the demo version and buy it if I liked it, so I downloaded and did:

$ tar xvfz pixel_linux_demo423.tar.gz
installpixel32

Uh? How do I do:

$ ./configure

make

checkinstall

...to make a rpm from that? No docs, config file, makefile - just a single executable file? And if I did run it and it installed, how the f*sck would I uninstall it?

Well, what I did. Unzip it and click the program with the mouse. Then an installation wizard guide you. It ask where to install it. It actual works like a win program. One click and it installs.