Mplayer reading problems??

dmzeplin

I was wondering about Mplayer since it can't read whatever.wmv. it only showed pink background in Mplayer?

I am using KDE, Mandrake 10.1, and I have update as well... I downloaded from urpmi Mplayer and Mplayer-gui as well...

Thanks,

Edited by dmzeplin

Better to download from PLF: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ for instructions on setting up a PLF source, and once it's set up you can install the package win32-codecs , which should help.

Oh, and the mplayer site is a bit of publicity. For the site to *HAVE* to shut down there'd have to be an EU software patent directive passed, then each individual EU country would have to pass a law allowing software patents, and THEN someone would have to file the patent. Given that the directive hasn't even been passed yet (only returned to the Parliament for a second reading), there's a good few years before things reach that point.

Better to download from PLF: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ for instructions on setting up a PLF source, and once it's set up you can install the package win32-codecs , which should help.

I decided to removed Mplayer, and then re installed from MCC, I have installed fonts, skins, mplayer and gui-mplayer. But I was unable to find win32-codecs?

I tried urpmi win32-codecs, but nothing can recongized win32-codecs?? :help:

Appreciate your time!

Edited by dmzeplin

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/easyurpmi

Follow the instructions there to setup your Mandrake sources.

In particular add the non-free PLF sources.

Then do urpmi win32-codecs and it will work.

I already have non-free PLF, and when I typed urpmi win32-codecs, it said:

Everything already installed :wall:

Assumed I already installed win32-codecs and I already installed Mplayer, Mplayer-gui, fonts, and skins. Did I miss something other than these?

Edited by dmzeplin

i have found that even with the latest win32-codecs installed (both via rpm or .tar.gz) that only a hand full of .wmv files play, i guess its just gonna take time, still, i havent came across many .wmv files that i cant get in .mpeg or .avi.

on a side note, kaffeine can play the sound from a .wmv but not the video, maybe the files are corrupted in some way or been renamed to .wmv when they really aren't

No. Just type rpm -q win32-codecs to verify 100% that it installed. If it is, then you've got everything, and the file just doesn't work with what's available, I guess :(

adamw, I typed what you gave me and it came out, win32-codecs-1.6-3plf. I assumed it is 100%?

Damn it... :furious3: guess bear with this until I can find one with video later... Another unfortuntely for me that I am deaf and only need quality of video... eh? But thanks anyway...

Edited by dmzeplin