iTunes for Linux

devries

DRM restricts the "fair use" of copyrighted material, thus making DRM, in America anyway, illegal, so the DRM argument has little bearing on this issue.
ooo...better contact Apple and tell them itune's m4p's are illegal :lol2::screwy:

oh yeah,

-bvc

Do you have any basis for the belief that DRM is legal?

If yer gonna hang around and cause trouble, please post under the right username.

most certainly

and you might wanna do the same...you sure have spent many, many hours with profiles....looking for someone? Need help? :screwy:

What are you talking about? Does that have anything to do with the topic?

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. If you'd like to change the laws get active in changing them....don't crack and make excuses without lawful reasons ;)

I presume you never play encrypted CDs in linux then? Perhaps you should invite me around your house and I'll go around and name a zillion minor laws that you're probably transgressing in your daily living. Using FOSS software to enable me to legitamately pay for music won't be disturbing my sleep, believe me. As we're 'here' I assume that you actively protest against dodgy laws that do actually matter.

2. You don't. Get xp/mac ;) ...

..use an OS that has plugins that work w/o effort and/or help in devel the poor plugins/os that it doesn't work well in.

I'm a nurse, not a programmer. HTML is the limit to my 'skills' and even thats not great. If you are seriously suggesting that I should stick to XP (Macs are irrelevant as I don't have the cash) then thats quite sad. It may have escaped your notice, but you can actually help out in a small way without being an expert in this field i.e.

1) Promote FOSS software generally (I know of quite a few people on my site who have 'made the switch' to FF or OOo due to a couple of us positively promoting FF and OOo - I'll do the same for Evolution when it comes out for Windows and keep pushing those screenies :) )

2) Tell people how you got past problems - most on here seem to mention this

3) Report bugs (gotta admit, I don't usually do that as I try and find a way around)

4) Using FOSS - do you think the people who develop KDE / Gnome and whatnot only do this so that they can make sure techies have something to go on about and proudly state that they would never use?

I agree with Steve on the legality issue. Problem is that many politicians in Washington D.C. take contributions from and spend time on the "golf course" with lobbyists from such companies as AOL Time-Warner, Disney, Sony, etc. - companies with heavily vested interests with DRM. Until there is a solid ruling on the subject from SCOTUS, we won't know for certain, though.

1. If you'd like to change the laws get active in changing them....don't crack and make excuses without lawful reasons ;)

I presume you never play encrypted CDs in linux then? Perhaps you should invite me around your house and I'll go around and name a zillion minor laws that you're probably transgressing in your daily living. Using FOSS software to enable me to legitamately pay for music won't be disturbing my sleep, believe me. As we're 'here' I assume that you actively protest against dodgy laws that do actually matter.

2. You don't. Get xp/mac ;) ...

..use an OS that has plugins that work w/o effort and/or help in devel the poor plugins/os that it doesn't work well in.

I'm a nurse, not a programmer. HTML is the limit to my 'skills' and even thats not great. If you are seriously suggesting that I should stick to XP (Macs are irrelevant as I don't have the cash) then thats quite sad. It may have escaped your notice, but you can actually help out in a small way without being an expert in this field i.e.

1) Promote FOSS software generally (I know of quite a few people on my site who have 'made the switch' to FF or OOo due to a couple of us positively promoting FF and OOo - I'll do the same for Evolution when it comes out for Windows and keep pushing those screenies :) )

2) Tell people how you got past problems - most on here seem to mention this

3) Report bugs (gotta admit, I don't usually do that as I try and find a way around)

4) Using FOSS - do you think the people who develop KDE / Gnome and whatnot only do this so that they can make sure techies have something to go on about and proudly state that they would never use?

Well, if you mean encrypted dvd's of course...that's a necessity for anyone that is linux only. There is 10 legit other ways to get your music a 200 ways to play it, so no one needs itunes. Not the case with dvd's now is it? Hello.

Yeah, you could come here and find other violations but I can assure you it is only because of a lack of $. Not the case with a free itunes, now is it? You did NOT use FOSS software to enable you to legitimately pay for music. You used FOSS crackware that gives a secure, repectable, linux community a bad name ;)

These sites work well, it's the OS's plugins that do not. I told you what to do about that, and you have 2 choices. Why you'd think it escapes me when I already told you to help in developing the poor plugins/os that it doesn't work well in does escape any reasoning (1. 2. 3. 4.)

-bvc

Edited by nano

Well, if you mean encrypted dvd's of course...that's a necessity for anyone that is linux only. There is 10 legit other ways to get your music a 200 ways to play it, so no one needs itunes. Not the case with dvd's now is it? Hello.

So I can assume that you use these terrible, kiddie-fiddling, kitten-murdering hacks that enable you to play DVDs on linux, even though you've admitted that you have Windows and can play them legit on one of the many DVD apps available for XP? God knows what you'd say if you could just go and play them on some 'box' that you could link up to your TV ;)

Yeah, you could come here and find other violations but I can assure you it is only because of a lack of $.

OMG! Get the police. Sue BVC quick! Send in the lawyers! ;)

Not the case with a free itunes, now is it? You did NOT use FOSS software to enable you to legitimately pay for music. You used FOSS crackware  that gives a secure, repectable, linux community a bad name ;)

If I did use iTunes on linux then it would be due to the lack of alternative, no DRM is just a bonus. Did you use that DVD decryptor because you didn't have one on windows or couldn't use one of those mysterious DVD-linked-to-TV devices that certainly don't exist?

These sites work well, it's the OS's plugins that do not. I told you what to do about that, and you have 2 choices. Why you'd think it escapes me when I already told you to help in developing the poor plugins/os that it doesn't work well in does escape any reasoning (1. 2. 3. 4.)

As I explained clearly before, I can't help with development of any software directly, only in promoting stuff that may indirectly help, if that and a bit of money doesn't do anything then so be it, but I do think with your attitude you should write immediately to Mandrake, Ubuntu, Xandros etc and demand that they desist from positioning their distros towards newbies - I mean how are they going to help?

Go get angry about something that matters - if you're gonna burst a blood vessel then at least do it over something important.

So I can assume that you use these terrible, kiddie-fiddling, kitten-murdering hacks that enable you to play DVDs on linux, even though you've admitted that you have Windows and can play them legit on one of the many DVD apps available for XP? God knows what you'd say if you could just go and play them on some 'box' that you could link up to your TV ;)

Yeah, you could come here and find other violations but I can assure you it is only because of a lack of $.

OMG! Get the police. Sue BVC quick! Send in the lawyers! ;)

Not the case with a free itunes, now is it? You did NOT use FOSS software to enable you to legitimately pay for music. You used FOSS crackware  that gives a secure, repectable, linux community a bad name ;)

If I did use iTunes on linux then it would be due to the lack of alternative, no DRM is just a bonus. Did you use that DVD decryptor because you didn't have one on windows or couldn't use one of those mysterious DVD-linked-to-TV devices that certainly don't exist?

As I explained clearly before, I can't help with development of any software directly, only in promoting stuff that may indirectly help, if that and a bit of money doesn't do anything then so be it, but I do think with your attitude you should write immediately to Mandrake, Ubuntu, Xandros etc and demand that they desist from positioning their distros towards newbies - I mean how are they going to help?

Go get angry about something that matters - if you're gonna burst a blood vessel then at least do it over something important.

dvdcss is not a hack against an any independent app or co ;) I do it on linux only to check out the devel of such. I use powerdvd on xp. I have $100-200 to spend on an OS....but not $1000. That's all I mean by the lack of $. I don't mind paying a fair price, like I do for music ;)

Man...why do you say you can't help with devel of an app just because u can not code? Obviously, there are many ways to contrib, no? :wall: It is your attitude that fails to see what 'help with developing' means. It does not imply that one has to know how to code.

So go and get angry at crackers of indepentent apps, or something that matters, instead of bursting a vessel on someone trying to expose a cracker app for just that...a cracker app for crackers. ;)

-root

Edited by nano

dvdcss is not a hack against an any independent app or co ;) I do it on linux only to check out the devel of such. I use powerdvd on xp. I have $100-200  to spend on an OS....but not $1000. That's all I mean by the lack of $. I don't mind paying a fair price, like I do for music ;)

I'm still calling the police - you are using it nonetheless..AND you are stopping other DVD player producers from making money - they'll be on the streets - because of you! ;) At least I (theoretically) am paying what Apple ask - those poverty-stricken managers at Apple won't have to beg for crumbs tonight!

Man...why do you say you can't help with devel of an app just because u can not code? Obviously, there are many ways to contrib, no? :wall: It is your attitude that fails to see what 'help with developing' means. It does not imply that one has to know how to code.

Well rather than busting than buldging blood vessel, why don't you explain how I can help further, rather than promoting, using, working out (sledgehammer) ways around etc? I mean, when I decided to try out mandrake 2/3 months ago, I wasn't expecting it be turn out to be a lifestyle choice, but please go ahead.. ;)

So go and get angry at crackers of indepentent apps, or something that matters, instead of bursting a vessel on someone trying to expose a cracker app for just that...a cracker app for crackers. ;)

How about 'music costs too much and music industry fat cats take too much' - there's something a little more important for you to go and get all cardiovascular about ;)

edit: apologies for the winkathon

Edited by foot

dvdcss is not a hack against an any independent app or co ;) I do it on linux only to check out the devel of such. I use powerdvd on xp. I have $100-200  to spend on an OS....but not $1000. That's all I mean by the lack of $. I don't mind paying a fair price, like I do for music ;)

I'm still calling the police - you are using it nonetheless..AND you are stopping other DVD player producers from making money - they'll be on the streets - because of you! ;) At least I (theoretically) am paying what Apple ask - those poverty-stricken managers at Apple won't have to beg for crumbs tonight!

Well rather than busting than buldging blood vessel, why don't you explain how I can help further, rather than promoting, using, working out (sledgehammer) ways around etc? I mean, when I decided to try out mandrake 2/3 months ago, I wasn't expecting it be turn out to be a lifestyle choice, but please go ahead.. ;)

How about 'music costs too much and music industry fat cats take too much' - there's something a little more important for you to go and get all cardiovascular about ;)

edit: apologies for the winkathon

I have been asked by admin not to post under nano anymore Since bvc is disabled at my request...this is it.

1. I paid for powerdvd, which btw is porting to linux ;)

2. already stated how to contrib...you yourself have said, I do not understand your confusion and why you want to harp on helping devel an app. What do you not understand? What else is there? (Not really questions, because you have already answered them yourself) Wha? :wall:

3. Too late, if you were reading my post, which you obviously haven't been, you would know that I already stated that music cost too much. Read man Read! Slow down and try to comprehend what people are saying please instead of assuming.

-root

DONE :D

I have been asked by admin not to post under nano anymore Since bvc is disabled at my request...this is it.

Edited by nano

1. I paid for powerdvd, which btw is porting to linux ;)

Did you pay for the linux decryptor..and I am glad to hear it about PowerDVD!

2. already stated how to contrib...you yourself have said, I do not understand your confusion and why you want to harp on helping devel an app. What do you not understand? What else is there? (Not really questions, because you have already answered them yourself) Wha? :wall:

OK...err *steps away*

3. Too late, if you were reading my post, which you obviously haven't been, you would know that I already stated that music cost too much. Read man Read! Slow down and try to comprehend what people are saying please instead of assuming.

You missed the wink - I was trying to get the point over to you that there are just a few more things more important (in terms of workupability) than an app that enables you to pay for music to the people who distribute it.

Oh and, as you were so kind..

Anyway, this has 'descended' so..

Edited by devries

• 2 weeks later...

Heya all,

this is a very emotional thread it seems. Personally, i don't like this drm-stuff. Certainly if it comes to really buying something. I almost never buy music or download it. Anyway, if I buy music I would like to have it in an open, lossless format like flac and no drm. If anyone has a good list about online shops that sell popular music in this way, it would be nice if you could post it.

Anyway, the music industry is saying it's losing money because of illegal-music-sharing (not p2p), ... which could be, but I don't see any evidence. Anyway, in the earlier days one could also copy tapes, cd's, ... although they also come afterwards I suppose. Ofcourse nowawadays you can give music to someone else by distributing it over the net. Although I understand that musicians want to get money for their music, just like software-companies want it, I don't like drm. And certainly not if it restricts me more than buying a cd while paying almost as much. When you distribute through the net ... you don't need to transportation of cd's, no material, less people to pay(?), ... Ofcourse, the other costs are still there. Yes, you have some other costs like bandwidth, computer, ... but I don't know how they compare to the lost costs. If it costs more over the net, I would prefer the Cd if it's the same.

What over 15 years? Will itunes still exist? Will it run on the then current operating-system/hardware? Ofcourse they could sell the song again or an application that can play the songs. Ofcourse you need to know how the file is created. If it is encrypted, it looks more like random data I believe, so it won't be easy I suppose without extra info.

Ok, more on topic now: removing the drm. You buy the song over the net in a lossy format. I don't know if itunes also distribute covers. You are locked in by the drm in comparison with a cd. You don't have it on a physical media. You pay around 10 dollar(/euro??) for 10 songs. Well, as long as I don't give a copy to friends and juyst remove the drm for playing it on another computer, portable media player, ... I don't see the harm in this. I'm just using it for personal use. One could say that Apple makes money of the sales of the ipod, but you don't have to buy in a ipod in the first place if you don't want to, although maybe a lot of people do? I'm not sure of this however. I don't know if the music-industry gets any money from the sales of the ipod, so I don't kniw fi the music-industry would suffer from decreasing sales of the ipod directly.

To conclude: I don't like drm because it restricts me to much. Apple sells drm'ed music, but as long as I use it fairly I don't immediatly see the wrongdoing. Laws are not eveything, they have to be accepted by people to have any value. Ofcourse you can force them upon someone, but if this is a good method I'll leave that open. Giving arguments is a nice way to defend your point of view maybe (I'm not saying I did that here). I don't like the argument about the fact that you need to buy an ipod if you buy songs from the itunes-music-store if you don't buy a lot of songs or don't use a portable media player. I'm not sure about this. This maybe also creates a monopoly. Competition in the market of portable media players maybe gets more difficult because of the popularity of itunes. I don't know if people are aware that they can only play the files on tjhe ipod-portable-mediaplayer (I think). I'll leave this matter open.

I have more a tendency of saying it is fair to remove the drm, although I'm not completely sure. I don't like the idea of coupling the store with the media player.

Anyway, I hope that other alternatives to the itunes music store (very known, recent music(?)) are/will be available. I don't know if the music industry will like this. I'm not really saying artists, I'm mentionning the music industry.

Michel