iTunes for Linux

devries

It doesnt steal, it allows linux users to buy music from the apple store - without the drm crap on it. The song is still being paid for, and now we dont have to reboot to windows to get it.

He isnt stealing anything from anyone.

bvc: staying now?

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt steal, it allows linux users to buy music from the apple store - without the drm crap on it. The song is still being paid for, and now we dont have to reboot to windows to get it.

He isnt stealing anything from anyone.

learn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

was permission asked? granted? app made to work as intended by the owners?>>DRM? No. Licensed? No.

-bvc

Edited by nano

I know what DRM does, and again, from my point of view he isnt stealing anything.

DRM is a foolish waste of time. Nearly every DRM and copy protection scheme I know of been broken, it still doesnt stop music from being copied. Even if one person downloads music from the ITMS, another person is going to buy the cd, rip and upload it. The music is going to be pirated either way.

In this case, the DRM is never even applied to the song. The songs are downloaded from ITMS and then DRM retarded within iTunes. Nobody is losing money here either, ITMS still get their cut, the artists still get their cut too when it's purchased.

I think its almost a win win situation for the artists, now Linux users can buy and listen to their music too. There is mp3tunes.com but it's selection is still pretty limited.

The alternative is that you have to buy music from ITMS in Windows, and you are then restricted to what you can play it on. Correct me if I am wrong here, but I dont think DRM protected songs are going to play in your Rhythmbox, mpd or XMMS.

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

I know what DRM does, and again, from my point of view he isnt stealing anything.

DRM is a foolish waste of time. Nearly every DRM and copy protection scheme I know of been broken, it still doesnt stop music from being copied. Even if one person downloads music from the ITMS, another person is going to buy the cd, rip and upload it. The music is going to be pirated either way.

In this case, the DRM is never even applied to the song. The songs are downloaded from ITMS and then DRM retarded within iTunes. Nobody is losing money here either, ITMS still get their cut, the artists still get their cut too when it's purchased.

I think its almost a win win situation for the artists, now Linux users can buy and listen to their music too. There is mp3tunes.com but it's selection is still pretty limited.

The alternative is that you have to buy music from ITMS in Windows, and you are then restricted to what you can play it on. Correct me if I am wrong here, but I dont think DRM protected songs are going to play in your Rhythmbox, mpd or XMMS.

iphitus

unless you burn the songs or playlist to a cd then re-rip that cd.

/my 2 cents

exactly

I do aac for rhythmbox, xmms etc...

...burn to cd (up to what? ....6 burns?)>convert to aac

legit...within the license you click 'ok' to....

...anything else, is theft... whether you pay $ or not. You pay $ and are still required to remain within the license you agreed to. Period.

oh,

-bvc

Edited by nano

exactly

...anything else, is theft... whether you pay $ or not. You pay $ and are still required to remain within the license you agreed to. Period.

oh,

-bvc

Well right over there in norway, its not illegal. They dont have idiotic dmca like laws, like america, and now australia who decided they wanted them too with the FTA.

Using pymusique, i havnt agreed to any licenses

Rhythmbox, XMMS wont play DRM'd AACs.

Burning and then ripping loses quality.

If you're going to stay, why dont you use your own account?

I agree with Darkelve, I see DRM stealing *my* rights. All it does is hinder. It doesnt do what its meant to do.

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

:lol2:

that's like putting a lower priced tag on an item in a store, buying it at that lower price, and thinking you didn't steal :rolleyes:

No, its like going to one store and asking for a CD, then them saying - sure, but you can only play that CD on CD players that we approve of vs going to another without such restrictions, but at the same price.

(Un)Fortunately, I don't keep a copy of XP on my computer - so how would you suggest I download from iTunes? Write to Apple complaining? Jeez, it rarely does much good writing all those pi**ing emails to webbies trying to get them to get their sites to work better with Mozilla or to use video formats that aren't reliant on me having quicktime or WMP, you think Apple are going to take any notice?

that's like putting a lower priced tag on an item in a store, buying it at that lower price, and thinking you didn't steal :rolleyes:

<snip>

Jeez, it rarely does much good writing all those pi**ing emails to webbies trying to get them to get their sites to work better with Mozilla or to use video formats that aren't reliant on me having quicktime or WMP, you think Apple are going to take any notice?

Hey, some are listening! A few weeks ago I e-mailed this site: http://www.oceade.be/ to remark their Javascript-detection

didn't work with Firefox, so you couldn't navigate the menus.

Now, a few weeks later, it works without problems! I sent a

mail to thank them too! That's as important as complaining

about the problem.

<snip>

Jeez, it rarely does much good writing all those pi**ing emails to webbies trying to get them to get their sites to work better with Mozilla or to use video formats that aren't reliant on me having quicktime or WMP, you think Apple are going to take any notice?

Hey, some are listening! A few weeks ago I e-mailed this site: http://www.oceade.be/ to remark their Javascript-detection

didn't work with Firefox, so you couldn't navigate the menus.

Now, a few weeks later, it works without problems! I sent a

mail to thank them too! That's as important as complaining

about the problem.

Thats good to hear! TBH, I'll feel lucky if I get an email back :( I can understand people like PTV not wanting to use formats that will work without having to dump loads of dodgy Xine hacks on my computer as linux ain't popular as a desktop (even though I still have a subscription to their services :furious3: ) But it sends me up the wall when smaller websites, who willingly promote FF/Mozilla can't be arsed to do some simple changes to make them work better.

Noticed on slashdot that the National Lottery site complains if you use an insecure browser like FF and suggests you use something more secure like IE 5.5 :D That'll be my next nagging target :)

exactly

oh,

-bvc

1. Using pymusique, i havnt agreed to any licenses

2. Rhythmbox, XMMS wont play DRM'd AACs.

3. Burning and then ripping loses quality.

4. I agree with Darkelve, I see DRM stealing *my* rights. All it does is hinder. It doesnt do what its meant to do.

iphitus

1. exactly

2. plays my aac's...that all I care about whether drm'd or not is irrelevent.

3. at least it's legit and better than mp3's and ogg's

4. Doesn't matter what you think or see. It does do more than nothing, and has the interest of artist at heart. If you'd like to change the laws get active in changing them....don't crack and make excuses without lawful reasons ;)

1. No, its like going to one store and asking for a CD, then them saying - sure, but you can only play that CD on CD players that we approve of vs going to another without such restrictions, but at the same price.

2. (Un)Fortunately, I don't keep a copy of XP on my computer - so how would you suggest I download from iTunes? Write to Apple complaining? Jeez, it rarely does much good writing all those pi**ing emails to webbies trying to get them to get their sites to work better with Mozilla or to use video formats that aren't reliant on me having quicktime or WMP, you think Apple are going to take any notice?

1. If you'd like to change the laws get active in changing them....don't crack and make excuses without lawful reasons ;)

2. You don't. Get xp/mac ;) ...

..use an OS that has plugins that work w/o effort and/or help in devel the poor plugins/os that it doesn't work well in.

DRM restricts the "fair use" of copyrighted material, thus making DRM, in America anyway, illegal, so the DRM argument has little bearing on this issue.
ooo...better contact Apple and tell them itune's m4p's are illegal :lol2::screwy:

oh yeah,

-bvc

Edited by nano

DRM restricts the "fair use" of copyrighted material, thus making DRM, in America anyway, illegal, so the DRM argument has little bearing on this issue.
ooo...better contact Apple and tell them itune's m4p's are illegal :lol2::screwy:

oh yeah,

-bvc

Do you have any basis for the belief that DRM is legal?

If yer gonna hang around and cause trouble, please post under the right username.

oh yeah,

-bvc

Do you have any basis for the belief that DRM is legal?

If yer gonna hang around and cause trouble, please post under the right username.

most certainly

and you might wanna do the same...you sure have spent many, many hours with profiles....looking for someone? Need help? :screwy: