Software firewalls and av programs

Guest Ricgor

Guest Ricgor

recently i converted to linux. installed mdk10.1 dvd ed.. It is connected via wired lan to a cable modem and 2 other pc's. 1 xp and 1 win988se. my router has spi and nat firewall configured. In windows a software firewall and a virus scanner are recommended anyway. does this hold true for linux as well? i've read conflicting opinions and want to hear what you guys have to say. i run the samba and cups servers for file and printer sharing.

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

you can have a firewall in your linux, mdk default is shorewall, but for antivirus, linux dont need it,,.. well as of now, and if you managed to install a firewall in you linux, make shore that you allowed those windows box to access your linux cups and samba server

well, as you've mentioned that your router has a bult-in firewall already, maybe you can leave you linux open, if you are not comportable yet in its firewall

Edited by aioshin

Guest Ricgor

Thanks for the input. I knew of shorewall's availability in mdk, but the firewall in mdk 10.1's mcc applet does not work. Is that shorewall? I was wondering if a software firewall is needed. If it iis I'll install another one. If it's overkill due to the router's firewlall, i'll leave it alone. I suppose i'll forgo the a-v for now as it seems it's not needed.