installing new OS (dualboot)

alcatel

Windows will overwrite the bootloader for sure (and probably will give some other problems). Always install Windows first.

That said: After the you install the other windows version, boot from the Mandrake CD, hit f1, type rescue and install lilo again. That should do it (hopefully)

To prevent windows from running amuck, always remove lilo prior to installing windows. What it doesn't see it won't bother. Then reinstall lilo after installing windows with the rescue mode.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest phunky

Yep installing Windows first is the way to start. I succeeded once In installing Windows 98, Windows XP, Redhat and SusE on 1 pc. Only worked if SuSE is installed final

try using VMWARE as an alternative option to dual or triple booting .. all 3 operating systems can run at the same time, they all share hardware ,nic , drives,sound ..each guest OS gets it's own IP so all virtual machines are fully functional and network-able .windows has a version out called VirtualPC .each has a 30day demo

attached screen shot shows MD10.1 as Host PC with Win2000 server as Guest 1 and WinXp as Guest2 .. Host PC is an older AMD 1.5 + 1g ram win2000 has been setup with 384 ram ..XP has 512 ram , you can select ram amounts for the guest PC

post-10346-1111322279_thumb.jpg

VMWARE is slow and test our patience. I tried VMWARE before, and it takes lot of time to run applications. I would prefer Partition Magic (Boot Magic, I mean). Boot Magic does good job.

However you can do without these additional software, since we have grub or lilo to handle elegantly booting multi-OS. Only thing I will say is to FIRST make a rescue boot floppy from your existing Mandrake OS and then follow the guidelines given by devries, moderator.

As a note, with any windows system, you will eventually have to reinstall windows in order to keep it running. So, "installing windows first" is not always going to work. Like I have already done for years, remove lilo, install windows, reinstall lilo. My linux installations survive for many windows installs! B)