need info regarding M$

axel_2078

Hello, everyone. I was hoping you guys could give me some ammo that would be a compelling defense in choosing Linux over Microsoft. The reason I'm asking is because I want to give friends and family reasons to choose, or at least consider, a Linux distro instead of enslaving themselves to Microsoft. I'm not trying to convert anyone, just give them information so they can choose for themselves. I already know many of the benefits to Linux, but what I really need is cons against M$. I have a feeling you guys will be able to give me plenty. :D

Edited by axel_2078

No daily worry about viri, malware, spyware, trojan horses or any of the other number of things that might come with MS. Now worry about what the next O.S. upgrade is going to cost you.

Here is a list of apps that do the same thing as the apps in M.S. do and all most all the apps for Linux are FREE and work pretty damn good.

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml

Do a search in the F.A.Q.'s here. There are alot of threads explaining the differences.

One last thing. Linux is a learning curve, but once its learned life is alot easier.

I really depends on what they use their computer for. For anyone who mainly does email, web browsing, writing, and general image work I tell them they are a natural for linux since they won't have to worry so much about security issues etc. Once they get set up its "oh! it's so easy." I try to stay away from MS is bad, etc. Also remember that while linux is free, most distros rely on your buying to keep the free flowing and two releases a year can get every bit as expensive as Windows. But for most people there is no need for the regular upgrade. Since most Windows folks don't maintain their systems (defrag, scandisk, etc) I tell them that over time their linux experience won't degrade the way their Windows one does. They do need to know how to update security patches regularly though. Also I have found that I had better be available to help whenever they want to add some software because that is the real mess with linux.

So my standard spiel for 90 percent of users is that they'll be better off and have an easier life with linux (or Mac).

Good luck.

I think I once heard someone say that when you purchase a computer, it's not yours to use as you wish....it's up to Microsoft to decide how you may use it (assuming it comes with Windows).  Could someone expand on that?

Mmmm.... yeah. I think the proper description is M$ may determine HOW you use your computer, through provisions in the EULA. This talks about things like auto-downloading software, arbitrarily changing the EULA without even having to let you know and revocation of media files and programs through use of DRM (e.g. if M$ decides you shouldn't possess or use certain files or software, they can shut it down or delete it).

Some links (I think the 1st one is the most interesting for you):

http://www.arachnoid.com/boycott/

http://www.cybersource.com.au/cyber/about/...gpl_to_eula.pdf

http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/index.html

http://www.vcnet.com/bms/features/

http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/dirtytricks.shtml

To concider linux, first get the family through baby steps first. Get them into firefox, thunderbird, openoffice etc. Each has their own selling point (firefox faster downloading, more secure: thunderbird is the junk mail filter: open office is the microsoft office capatability but not the $300 pricetage). Once you do that then show them your favorite distro with these programs on it. This way the learning curve is even less. Its what I'm doing right now come to think of it :devil:

About the computer not being yours: it's not about the OEM license or EULA, it's about you not being in control of what code the system executes.

You're not in control, since you have no way what runs. Example: what exactly was listening at the ports that the recent worms were getting in through? (Slammer, MSBlaster, etc)

Why was there a service listening and acting there?

I'm not implying that MS was actually doing bad things (though for all I know, they may be), just that a MSWin machine does a lot of things the 'owner' doesn't approve of or desire.

Put in another way: who owns a computer? The one in control of what software gets executed. On an MSWin machine, that's the user as long as MSWin doesn't get in the way, and MSWin itself.

On a side note, don't use words like 'enslave' and such - you claim you don't want to convert anyone, but it sure doesn't sound like it...

People don't feel like they are getting 'enslaved' so that doesn't work well.

Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to declare war on Microsoft. If that's how I came off, then I didn't phrase the question right. All I want is facts on the pros and cons that I can offer people should they want it. I want to be able to tell them what make Linux so great, but I also want to inform them of some of the bad things about M$ that they may not know about. Until I switched over to Linux, I had no idea how dirty M$ could play when they want to.

Edited by axel_2078

take each person individually and MAKE them read the microsoft eula.

and help them to understand what it is saying.

1, even though you have payed xxxxx amount of your currency, you do not own this software!

2, you can not look at the internal workings of this software

3, you cannot change this software at all in anyway.

4, you are on your own with any problems you may incounter with the software (well you can pay us

some more currency for support but hey don't expect to much in the way of real help).

5, we have your cash now sod off, untill the next upgrade.

then hold their hands whilst they read the gpl.

1, you've got it its yours

2, please feel free to look at the internal code of our product, and notify us of any improvements you would recomend, indeed if you have the ability, make the improvements yourself.

3, please feel free to adapt this software for your personal needs.

4, the linux community is alway's available 24/7 for help with any problem you may have, and its free (well for the most part).

5, cash to us is in the way of donations, if you like our products please purchase a ready made distro, knowing that any donation / purchase is actually helping to make a real difference to the software market.

then go on to explain that m$ is putting it's fingers into the media, ie: tv, news, entertainment, games consols, and it's "digital rights management"

M$ wants control, total control, what we hear, see and think.

it wants information and information is power

question? why would a company like microsoft with all those years of experience of security issues, release their latest flagship o/s with raw sockets enabled?

only answer "I" can think of is, easy bloomin access to all those machines running windows xp.

linux / unix has raw sockets but DISABLED BY DEFAULT! reason = security.

i shall stop now otherwise i will be grabbed by the M$ secret police FOR SPREADING FUD!

but that would be like the biggest hypocracy ever :jester::jester::jester::help: