gDesklets-0.34.1

well, after 24+ hrs of still not having figured out the problem, i decided to give up and try superkaramba, first tried installing from source [that never works anyway] so i go to find an rpm, installed it, and when i open it, i click open theme, im trying to use liquid weather plus, i can see where the window is supposed to be, but its just blank, it displays my desktops wallpaper in that little box... installing things on linux SUCKS, why the hell cant they copy a good thing like installshield from windows =\ who the hell likes to sit there to compile a thousand things with a hundred errors anyway, installing something simple like this is supposed to be a 30 second process, not 24 hours

Sorry to sound intemperate, but for most people, it is. You started off doing things the wrong way (building from source and then trying to use random RPM packages via rpm -U) and it sounds like you introduced some problems which are causing urpmi installations, which for 99% of people (including me) work fine, not to work. It's certainly not an issue with 'installing things on Linux', it's an issue with the specific way you've gone about doing this, with which we are trying to help you. I know from experience that for a clean system with proper urpmi media, 'urpmi gdesklets' installs gdesklets and all dependencies, and it works. I'm happy to go home and test this out and send you the output, if you like.

well, i think i finally found something, i deleted EVERYTHING that had python in it (yeah it screwed everything up first) and then i went back and installed all the stuff with urpmi, and then i did urpmi gdesklets and i have it all installed, now, when i try and actually run something, i get:

(gDesklets Shell:24978): GConf-CRITICAL **: file gconf-client.c: line 547 (gconf_client_add_dir): assertion `gconf_valid_key (dirname, NULL)' failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/share/gdesklets/gdesklets-shell", line 10, in ?
   shell = registry.get_plugin("UI_Shell")
 File "/usr/share/gdesklets/shell/PluginRegistry.py", line 59, in get_plugin
   result = self.get_plugins_by_pattern("name", name)
 File "/usr/share/gdesklets/shell/PluginRegistry.py", line 47, in get_plugins_by_pattern
   plugin.init()
 File "./Shell/__init__.py", line 77, in init
 File "/usr/share/gdesklets/shell/Plugin.py", line 25, in _get_plugins_by_pattern
   return registry.get_plugins_by_pattern(key, pattern)
 File "/usr/share/gdesklets/shell/PluginRegistry.py", line 47, in get_plugins_by_pattern
   plugin.init()
 File "./Profiles/__init__.py", line 19, in init
 File "/usr/share/gdesklets/shell/Plugin.py", line 31, in _get_plugin
   plugin = registry.get_plugin(name, *interfaces)
 File "/usr/share/gdesklets/shell/PluginRegistry.py", line 59, in get_plugin
   result = self.get_plugins_by_pattern("name", name)
   plugin.init()
 File "./gDeskletsClient/__init__.py", line 23, in init
 File "./gDeskletsClient/__init__.py", line 33, in __get_daemon
 File "/usr/share/gdesklets/main/client.py", line 178, in set_startup_command
   self.__send(COMMAND_SET_STARTUP_COMMAND, cmd)
 File "/usr/share/gdesklets/main/client.py", line 31, in __send
   xdr.send(self.__sock, command, *args)
 File "/usr/share/gdesklets/utils/xdr.py", line 81, in send
   s.send(header)
socket.error: (32, 'Broken pipe')

no idea at all now, but i went back and tried to install updated rpm/source and i still get the same yucky errors =\ i dont care if im using an old version as long as it works :(

edit; im guessing im getting all these errors because of python? so the question would be how do i configure it correctly, cause i tried to install superkaramba just now and the errors im being returned are cause of python :unsure:

Edited by Jas