Windows xp and Mandrake 10.1

Guest nerytis

Guest nerytis

I have 2 pc's. One pc primary with xp and secondary mandrake. Before they was connected on LAN. Please can someone help me to connect then back to LAN. Can you explain step by step on how to configurer windows and linux. Thanks.

Guest nerytis
Can you give us more info? Is there a router involved? If not, whch one serves the internet to the other?

Right, computer with windows xp connect to btbroadband internet by BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router and this pc is main pc. I have in this computer NETGAR FA311 REV-B1 network card. In pc with Mandrake network card is integrated in motherboard. Before this pc had internet from main computer.

Guest nerytis

Second pc was connected to primary pc, primary pc is connect to router. I want to share internet with primary pc but don't know hot to do this on mandrake. Thanks.

You need to set up the windows PC to share the internet connection - I have no idea how to do that (sorry). If you then configure the linux box to have a new lan connection you can probably get it going no problem.

Some windows savy guys might most in this thread, but I'd suggest having a good google for the solution.

I'm assuming your primary PC is in the middle? And that it has two network cards?

If this is the case, then you need to set up Internet Connection sharing on the Windows XP machine, so that it will route between the two cards. The cards that then end up between your primary and secondary machines will be forced to use 192.168.0.x IP addressing. This may be a bit of trial and error if your two network cards are identical until you get the right ones.

Set the Linux box for DHCP and it will pick up addressing from the Windows XP machine. Obviously you'll need the Windows XP machine to be running to route out to the internet.

I have 2 pc's. One pc primary with xp and secondary mandrake. Before they was connected on LAN. Please can someone help me to connect then back to LAN. Can you explain step by step on how to configurer windows and linux. Thanks.

your router appears to handle DHCP { the handing out of internal IP numbers 192.168.x.x and so on for a private internal lan } aka NAT it has a 1 usb port and 1 ethernet port either run each of them to the PC's or run the 1 ethernet out to a small 4 or 8 port switch/hub and plug both network cables from each PC into the switch/hub . the router will handle the LAN ip's and share the internet connection .

its a router lan configuration issue .

http://www.gconnect.net/downloads/pdf/BT_V...uter_Issue2.pdf

you can use the routers' usb out port to connect the XP box and then use the ethernet out port for Linux , this will allow you to skip the switch/hub .

this is an internet connection and has nothing to do with sharing files between boxes on the LAN

personally i'd get the switch/hub cuz hooking up just one is never gonna be enough