DSL won't work [solved]

Viper_Maniac

Setup what? The DSL connection? Sorry that I misunderstood this part.
I believe Qchem is wanting to know if you used Mandrake Controll Center to set up the connection, and if you did, did you set it up as a DSL connection or as a new LAN connection?

Don't use the DSL option. If you did, try seting it up as LAN connection. I made that mistake once (MDK 9.1) and it took forever to fix it.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could well be the problem, it sounds like you've configured mandrake for a DSL connection when in fact you have a LAN connection to the router (confusing I know).

I'll have a search around to see if theres anything about how to undo the DSL connection - as kmc77 eluded, it can be a pain in the ass. I agree that you should try setting up a LAN connection in mandrake control centre.

Qchem and kmc77 have it correct, from my experience.

If you have an ADSL Modem which also includes a lan connection and you connect via the lan connection then from that point onwards you ignore ALL reference to ADSL. You are now using it as a router and NOT as an ADSL Modem.

In MCC .......Internet Connections ... you must select .....LAN.. then select .....etho .... then ... Automatic IP .... click through to ...... Host Name ....... and type in a name for machine if you want one or click through ......Restart Network. and click OK.

Again in MCC go to ....Manage Connections.... then....Options.... and make sure that in the part called .....Device selected .....,that .....etho:????? has been selected (????= whatever your machines etho chip type is).

Nowhere should there be any reference to " that rp-pppoe thing".

If you temporarily have your firewall disabled then you should now be online a downloading.

Cheers. John.

I don't usually answer questions from people who have used the MCC to set up the internet connection but ....(There is a big fat warning in

networking )

The problem as kmc77 points out is getting rid of it..... I haven't used it since 9.1 but here is a way to get rid of it if it won't go away...

Go to the MCC and remove programs.... search for pppoe and remove everything (should be 3 items) then either reuse the MCC and choose LAN option or just install webmin and delete the interface and then readd it as DHCP.

Just to add a bit more.

By all means remove the rp-pppoe rpms since they are not needed but it is not a necessity.

All that happens is that if they are installed, it appears in MCCs'....Manage Connections... Options........Device Selected, and unfortunately it is set as default. All that is necessary is to make sure that you select.....etho ....... and NOT pppoe.

I have set up adsl connected friends (three to date) machines as well as my two current machines and I have NEVER had trouble setting up dsl connections using LAN and doing it all using MCC. I do not use the command line. I do not have server setups and network connections so maybe one has to use command line for some of those things. If you are a simple soul with a computer who wants to do nothing more than make a fast connection to the internet for normal activities then using the MCC (Mandrake Control Centre) will get you there quickly and surely.

When I read of all the things that are supposed to be wrong with MCC, I keep wondering if I am using the same MCC that others are. Strange. :huh2:

I spent many many weeks trying to get ADSL connection by USB and even with the best intention help from a lot of people here at MUB, I still could not get it to work satisfactorily.

It was a member of MUB that suggested the LAN idea and within 15 mins I was connected.

But then again, I did follow his instructions explicitly, the same as I have outlined.

After later reinstalls I realised that rp-pppoe was not needed to be installed so from then on I never selected it so it now never appears in the above setup.

John.

When I read of all the things that are supposed to be wrong with MCC, I keep wondering if I am using the same MCC that others are. Strange. 

Not strange you answer it yourself....

If you are a simple soul with a computer who wants to do nothing more than make a fast connection to the internet for normal activities then using the MCC (Mandrake Control Centre) will get you there quickly and surely.

So long as you don't have more than one NIC or use Internet connection sharing or ....

Hopefully since 9.1 they have fixed the endless loop.... where once you selected DSL it wouldn't give you the option of selecting anything else until the pppoe stuff was deinstalled. Sounds like they have....

I do not use the command line. I do not have server setups and network connections so maybe one has to use command line for some of those things.

actually there are lots of tools but non distro specific ones.

If you ever use KDE or Gnome for instance outside of Mandrake you realise the massive amount of config tools that Mandrake has taken out to force you to use theirs. KDE and Gnome are actually working together on this (seriously thats not a typo B) ) ...

If distro's like Mandrake and Suse could just leave the stuff in or make their config tools at least compatible with the professional and mutlidistro ones then it wouldn't be a CLI or nothing approach....

(see problem someone is having with KDE printer setup... which works perfectly well in Debian for all apps, not just KDE ones.. or the problems people have with the Mandrake menu's....)

The problem is when mandrake finally go out of business people who have only ever used Mandrake will be lost.... just like when they originally converted from Windows. I dunno about you but I get a bit tired of having to learn new config tools... its fun at first but after 3-4 it starts getting stale....

Qchem and kmc77 have it correct, from my experience.

If you have an ADSL Modem which also includes a lan connection and you connect via the lan connection then from that point onwards you ignore ALL reference to ADSL. You are now using it as a router and NOT as an ADSL Modem.

In MCC .......Internet Connections  ...        you must select .....LAN..  then select .....etho .... then ... Automatic IP .... click through to ...... Host Name ....... and type in a name for machine if you want one or click through  ......Restart Network. and click OK.

Again in MCC go to ....Manage Connections.... then....Options.... and make sure that in the part called .....Device selected .....,that .....etho:????? has been selected (????= whatever your machines etho chip type is).

Nowhere should there be any reference to " that rp-pppoe thing".

If you temporarily have your firewall disabled then you should now be online a downloading.

Cheers.                        John.

Ok I'll go give that a try. Just one question, how would I connect to the internet? Do I just open a browser and bam I'm on or do I have to do it another way?

Well I did that Lan thing and removed the rp-pppoe thing. It was the only thing that came up for "pppoe" in remove programs. Now after I've done that it still will not do anything. I open up a browser and still nothing. Is this out to get me or something?

Well I did that Lan thing and removed the rp-pppoe thing. It was the only thing that came up for "pppoe" in remove programs. Now after I've done that it still will not do anything. I open up a browser and still nothing. Is this out to get me or something?

Go back through the wizard and set it to LAN and DHCP :D

Were you prompted to assign a name to your computer?

Yeah, this is what I was talking about earlier. Takes a little work to get eth0 connection running after your comp has been set up for DSL.

I still cant get it to work. I dont know whats wrong and its driving me up a wall. I've tried the wizard numerous times to make sure it was set to LAN and DHCP. Is there anything else I can try?