DSL won't work [solved]

Viper_Maniac

It will connect but nothing else. I open up Firefox and no websites will load. Try to use Update and it says it cant connect. Could it have something to do with my router(Linksys)? I cant see why because not long after I hooked up the router and configured it I was able to connect & surf the web just fine under linux. Now it will only connect but nothing else.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, if it is apparently 'connected' correctly, maybe your box is not getting DNS service.

Assuming it's the router, not the PC itself, that holds the addresses of DNS servers to use, check these addresses by pinging them:

ping -c 4 81.240.24.4 (or whatever is primary DNS address)

If you didn't have to manually enter these server addresses when setting up your ISP account, you should be able to view the addresses your account is using by looking at 'WAN settings' or similar category in the router controls.

Are you on a wired or wireless connection? In either case, first off check the WAN status of the router. The router could have lost its connection to the ISP (you'll see its IP address as 0.0.0.0).

Its wired. I dont think it lost the connection because I'm online right now(windows) and it shows 0.0.0.0 as IP under Router Status.

Have you checked your firewall settings? It could be blocking the packets you want.

How do I know what packets need to get through?

Kind of an obvious one, but have you checked your firewall? I had a bugger of a time when I messed with the "share a connection" options. Don't know why, but firewall blocked everything. I just set the options on firewall to no restrictions then went back and reset the way I wanted. Resolved itself.

*EDIT* Sorry, Qchem - you already hit that topic. I should pay more attention.

Edited by kmc77

Ok, I tried all of those things except the firefox thing. Still nothing.

Well, at least we've eliminated that :)

Can you still ping the router? Can you connect to the routers config page? Have you tried to connect with a different machine/OS?

Sorry about all the questions, hopefully they'll lead to an answer.... eventually! ;)

in case that you have fiddled around with your router settings: reset the router to the factory defaults. this helps quite often, when people change some values in their router that somehow affect mtu/mru values.

Well, at least we've eliminated that :)

Can you still ping the router? Can you connect to the routers config page? Have you tried to connect with a different machine/OS?

Sorry about all the questions, hopefully they'll lead to an answer.... eventually! ;)

Yes to all. I can connect to the routers config page in both windows and linux. I can connect just fine under windows.

in case that you have fiddled around with your router settings: reset the router to the factory defaults. this helps quite often, when people change some values in their router that somehow affect mtu/mru values.

The only thing I've changed on the router is the password and what my dsl name and pass is. Other than that I havent done anything.

Can you check the DNS settings in linux, simply paste the contents of /etc/resolv.conf

How is the linux box obtaining its IP address, statically or with dhcp? Did you set this up with a mandrake wizard? For a new LAN connection?

Sorry about all the questions :P

Can you check the DNS settings in linux, simply paste the contents of /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 208.198.194.10
nameserver 208.198.194.5
search localhost

How is the linux box obtaining its IP address, statically or with dhcp? Did you set this up with a mandrake wizard? For a new LAN connection?

It should be obtaining it via DHCP. Setup what? The DSL connection? Sorry that I misunderstood this part.

Sorry about all the questions  :P

Hey if it helps to figure whats wrong then by all means do ask questions. ;)