PowerBook G4

inflexion

Right i think that its time for a new laptop and a Powerbook looks like its going to be my choice

1) i would like some exposure to Mac OS

2) its not winblows :P

3) they look soo nice

4) i can use linux still :cheesy:

so whats a good distro for them, i know that mandrakesoft have gone to 9 and then someone else has taken over the PPC version of 10 so isnt officially supported, but whats it like does anyone know?

I also keep getting told to try Yellow Dog on the mac forum i go on, again anyone does/have used it?

I think that im getting suckered into buying a mac cause they look nice like my iPod but still i wont listen till i get one so looks like this choice will happen

I'd try yellow dog first (although I haven't bothered to install any flavour of Linux on my mac yet), simply because it's supposed to have better support for the sleep function.

AFAIK yellow dog is loosely based around fedora, if that factors into your decision at all.

I would put Gentoo on top of the pile, with Ubuntu second and Yellowdog third. I wouldn't try any of the others on a PPC platform, but that's just me.

Oh, and remember that Linux does not yet support Airport Extreme, so you won't be able to get that working and the neat Apple sleep-states won't work either.

I'm pretty sure that once you're used to OS X you won't miss Linux though - my iBook just runs OS X now, it does all I need it to and more while looking good and being highly intuitive.

Right i think that its time for a new laptop and a Powerbook looks like its going to be my choice 

1) i would like some exposure to Mac OS 

2) its not winblows :P 

3) they look soo nice 

4) i can use linux still  :cheesy: 

so whats a good distro for them, i know that mandrakesoft have gone to 9 and then someone else has taken over the PPC version of 10 so isnt officially supported, but whats it like does anyone know? 

I also keep getting told to try Yellow Dog on the mac forum i go on, again anyone does/have used it? 

I think that im getting suckered into buying a mac cause they look nice like my iPod but still i wont listen till i get one so looks like this choice will happen 

Well I look up for Apple powerbook G4 15.2" superdrive comes with few software installed for about 3000Candian$ is it ok with any linux version and that apple with voice recognize is many years ahead then then the winblows.

Thank you ladies & gentlemen

Hey, is this still mandrakeusers.org?? :D

Whatabout Mdk - it's there, beta for 10.2 right now, there will be a final too.

They even mentioned it runs fine on minimac...

Unfortunately their consistency track record is pretty abysmal.

Prior to the 10.2 beta I think the last version was 9.1....

also are all the extras available on mac? (plf etc.)

I would tend to go with SoulSe

I would put Gentoo on top of the pile, with Ubuntu second and Yellowdog third. I wouldn't try any of the others on a PPC platform, but that's just me.
.. I know deb sources are plentyful for PPC and Portage is ..well portage. But then i just can't help agreeing with Iph.....Ive thought about this.. and I bet I would end up with OS-X only....

But then i just can't help agreeing with Iph.....Ive thought about this.. and I bet I would end up with OS-X only....

Well that's where I ended up - you can even install X for OSX, and things like Gentoo (portage) for OSX and run your favourite Linux apps.

OSX is beautiful, intuitive, quick and is based on BSD - it quite simply rocks. The only possible problem you might have with it is an ethical one as OSX is not open source. Other than that, I wouldn't bother with Linux on a Mac, unless you want to experiment / have some fun ;)

OSX

OSX is just so damn cool. And its not like you miss out on anything, most Linux programs run on osx.

i disagree here. my experience with osx has been a rather annoying and frustrating experience. but okay... i have to use macs at work and for professional work, osx sucks. for home users, it is acceptable.

i just bought an old g4 mac and i will erase the bloody osx the next days. it will run with yellow dog or ubuntu... i am still undecided between these two...

Gowator: no, there was a 10.1 PPC as well. The gap was because MDKsoft no longer maintains an official PPC port. 9.1 was the last official PPC release of MDK. From 10.1 onwards, it's been picked up as a volunteer effort (so it's not really an official release and there are no paid-for packs or manuals or phone support or anything). But the volunteers seem to do a pretty good job of it and they're planning to do every release from now on in. It can't hurt to try it, at least.