Wireless Network Adapters

Guest Nny

Well i went into the Hardware Troubleshoot thread on the top here and went to the website with Mandrake's Hardware Compatability listed. But the company I was going to buy from isn't listed. I'm trying to spend as little money as possible to tap into my wireless network I have, so I found an 802.11b wireless adapter on newegg for 19.50 U$ it's a no name brand to me, but the review of it said it was a great piece fo hardware.

Like i said I checked the website with Mandrakes compatability but the manufacturer wasn't listed. I then proceeded to the manufacturers website and at the bottom they stated how they are moving to make things more Linux compatable and proceeded to list some products which were linux compatable, but i dind't find any wireless adaptors.

"TRENDware International Inc. is pleased to announce Linux OS support for TRENDnet® Ethernet/Fast Ethernet and Fax Modem products." (http://www.trendware.com/support/linux.htm)

TRENDware/TRENDnet 11Mbps Wireless PCI Ethernet Adapter, Model TEW-228PI is the product I am looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-156-130&depa=0

So here comes the questions:

1) Are you aware if this product should be compatible with Mandrake 10.0?

2) If you are not aware of this, can you list some cheap wireless adaptors that you might have used that would work with Mandrake?

Like I said I need it cheap, I can't really go more than $25 USD, so that means I'm getting stuck with these brands I've never heard of... Well thanks for your help

My suggestion is to go here

I don't know about the pci adapters, but I got the pcmcia version of this card and it works wonderfully in linux. The pcmcia card at least uses an atheros chipset which is very linux friendly. And I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure you can use almost any wifi card in linux by loading the windows driver via ndiswrapper. But anyways, should be worth a shot, it's $10 cheaper and 802.11g.

Guest patrickrea

Check this listing : http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

It's becoming the definitive listing of wireless cards for Linux

I have used a TI based card (D-Link 650+) before and it was grief to get running and then the card just died. Try and get an Orinoco or Prism based card. Try www.TigerDirect.com I have been buying SMC cards from them. I use the SMC 2632w and 2532w cards and they work beautifully in Mandrake 10.1.