No keyboard after x.org 6.8.2 upgrade

mikeee

Hey all, I recently installed x.org 6.8.2 over my old install, but now when I boot into kde I don´t get any keyboard response (ie can´t even ctrl-alt-f1). I can fix the problem by logging out (which, if it matters, takes much longer than it used to or probably should), telling it to ´halt´ (which doesn´t do anything, I just have to click the button for some reason) and then hitting ´reboot´, which seems to restart X, sticks me back in the login page, but with keyboard working. Also, checking processor usage before and after this process, with straight boot into kde (no-kb-mode) i´m using about 40% of system cpu (p3-700), after my little ´workaround´ i´m back down to <1% (where it used to be). Is it possible my system is starting two instances of X in one, the new and the old? What could cause this? I installed from source, using the instructions that came with it. I´m using Mandrake 10.1 Official with KDE 3.2 (default cd install). Ideas or pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. Sorry for all the confusing parentheses (I just can´t help myself).

Sounds like devries has the right idea, eliminating one copy of xorg. But instead of uninstalling the xorg-x11 rpms, I'd uninstall the xorg 6.8.2 files you installed from source first and see if that works. If so (or if not) then add Thac's rpm depository to your urpmi sources (see this thread: http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=23130) and do:

# urpmi -v xorg-x11

That will do a pain-free update of xorg to 6.8.2. Thac's got it down.

This looks like a fine example of why I always advise using .rpms instead of tarballs for installation.

Ok, took everyone´s advice (thanks btw) and removed my source 6.8.2 install (did ´make clean´, is that right?) rpm -e´d all xorg packages, and installed flac´s xorg 6.8.2 rpms (libs and main files). Unfortunately, still the same problem. I find it interesting that when I go to logout, and then hit reboot, it just seems to restart X (and solving all my problems) but when I hit ´reboot´ the second time it actually reboots the system. I just mention this for any possible troubleshooting. Well, any ideas are appreciated.

Mike

Well...

1st, make sure the urpmi of xorg-x11-6.8.2 went right. Check:

rpm -q xorg-x11

2nd, check your logs: /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if there's something odd there.

3rd, maybe see what '$ top' says. That will at least tell you how many instances of X are running. Someone sharper than me will have to give you a way, if there is one, of seeing what version of xorg is actually running.

@Crashdamage

I had a similar problem after upgrading to Xorg 6.8.2 using Thac sources. In my case I had to select ¨Restart X server" from the KDM drop down. After that I was able to press `ALT+F1` to get to the console. Once there I ran `XFdrake` and reconfigured X. If that doesn´t help, as it caused other issues for me, delete ´/etc/X11/XF86Config´ prior to using XFdrake.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I deleted XF86Config and ran XFdrake....still the same problem. rpm -q xorg-x11 tells me it´s installed, top tells me only one instance of X....the only thing in xorg.0.log that shows any kind of error at all is stuff about my video card and direct rendering..so no big deal right now.

...So I´m thinking I probably broke my mandrake and might have to reinstall, unless someone´s got some other ideas?

Thanks for the help guys,

Mike

would upgrading to kde 3.3 (or 3.4) solve this?

Apparently not. Check this in Thac's post:

Its a known bug when upgrading from kde-3.2.x

Seems Thac assumed you had already upgraded KDE to 3.3.

I only have one more suggestion: See what happens if you use another WM - Gnome, Fluxbox, IceWM - whatever. If other WMs work fine, at least you know it's actually a KDE problem and can attack it from that perspective.

Sorry, but I can't help you further if it's a KDE thing. I'm a Fluxbox guy. I don't use KDE and don't know much about it. KDE is kinda broken on my box too but I can still run KDE apps so I have no urge to do anything about it.

Maybe Thac will check in on this thread again and he or someone else will have some other ideas. Or Google yourself silly....

well, I´ll try upgrading kde, if it doesn´t work with flac´s config-file suggestion I´ll try another wm. I´m new to linux still and decided I was going to learn kde but I´ve heard good things about fluxbox etc. so maybe this will be my opportunity to try a new wm. If not I´ll just reinstall, nothing mission critical on this computer.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CragStar

Hi,

I've got exactly the same problem after an upgrade to KDE3.3 (using MDK 10.1). But after reading your posts it sounds as if the problem lies with XOrg, as that would also have been upgraded.

Just for some more information, running a different WM did not help me. To get around the problem, I have had to change the default run level to 3, so that the laptop boots to the console line instead of loading X, logging in as the user, and then running 'startx' from the console line which then boots me into X and the keyboard works fine.

I'm thinking that there is a problem at boot time, with something not starting which should. But I haven't been able to track the problem down. Somebody else has to have had this happen to them?

Guest CragStar

Just to let you know, after applying the fix suggested by thac:

It not a xorg problem but a kde problem

Its a known bug when upgrading from kde-3.2.x

Add this line at the end of the [General] section

in /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc

ServerVTs=-7

It is now working. I guess the problem with other WM not working was that I was using KDM to login, which is where the problem lied.