mandrake + dual boot xp security

Totovich

I was a bit stupid. I allways tought I didn't needed a virusscan on my xp, because I was only using internet on mandrake. Now my pc started crashing whole the time. Iin Mandrake and in winxp.

I installed norton 2005 now, and it detected 25 virusses :furious3:

What can I do about this?

Not using XP is not an option.

I only use the internet on the linuxboot.

Well, neither 'side' of your computer is immune from problems of this type. Mind you, I've yet to hear of a virus that killed two OSes at the same time!

If you NEVER connect to the internet with XP, (and Norton isn't just lying), perhaps malware got into your system by another medium? If you installed any software from a CD, floppy or pen-drive, try scanning that and see if anything pops up.

you might want to try out a Linux antivirus, too. I have no links to share, but F-Prot and Panda are two you could search for.

Can you tell us what files Norton is flagging, and what virii are identified?

Also, how do you connect to the internet? Directly through a modem, or via a local network connection?

Currently virus scanning is kinda pointless in Linux, its more usefull for email servers and to scan for windows firuses.

If you think its possible for viruses to get into linux and get themselves onto windows - thats impossible. The viruses have come from CDs or floppys or flash drives or other external sources.

Or windows is connecting to the internet without your knowledge.

not enough to be concerned about...yet

You shouldn't have your win partitions mounted while on linux either. Need something, edit fstab>mount>do>umount>edit fstab.

A good virus on a eth/network configured box can configure/find its way to the internet and have a hay_day ;)

Iphitus, you surprise me. Are you saying there is NO threat of virii for a desktop Linux distro?

Like bvc says, not ebnough to worry about but I don't know of any that infect the windows filesystem from linux!

This really makes iphitus's explanations most likely....

also surfing the internet vs being connected are two different things.

if you have a router and dhcp then you are probably connected, just not surfing!

Well, my documents part is mounted in Linux.

For the rest, I only installed by urpmi. On winxp, there are no progs installed yet. (now norton is...)

I shall do a scan within the hour again, and give you the log.

My computer keeps crashing in windows as well in linux. I gonna try a full disk format if it isin't fixed in the next two days. But no Mandrake. Gonna try Fedora Core 3. They say it's more stable? Well, I gonna check it out.

Maybe it is important to say that I didn't used a firewall in linux. But I did in windows.

My computer keeps crashing in windows as well in linux.

Sounds like the problem is hardware and when you suspected a virus you found them.

Maybe it is important to say that I didn't used a firewall in linux. But I did in windows.

or

llways tought I didn't needed a virusscan on my xp, because I was only using internet on mandrake.

Which one is it?

I think you have a HW prob and this is crashing linux....

I have been connected now for 6 months without rebooting and no firewall.... I have never had a linux virus and there are only about 3 anyway...

You might try the linux virus scanners but on the XP disks... this prevents the viri hiding... or substituting for XP processes...

Sounds like the problem is hardware and when you suspected a virus you found them. 

Imagine the problem is HW, imagine I have some damaged bootsectors on my hard disk,

do you think it can be solved by formatting my whole hard disk (windows AND linux)?

update:

btw, I had this error a couple days ago:

Error in:

partition_table::dos=HASH(0x8f808a8)

I did a chkdsk in dos:

C:\Documents and Settings\Kristof Jacobs>chkdsk.exe

Het type bestandssysteem is FAT32.

Volume ACER gemaakt op 5-6-2003 16:44

Het volumenummer is 2629-16F0

Controleren van bestanden en mappen...

Windows heeft fouten op de schijf gevonden, maar zal de

fouten niet herstellen omdat de schijfcontrole werd uitgevoerd

zonder de parameter /F (fix).

\Documents and Settings\Kristof Jacobs\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

\1mv8hwtl.default\localstore.rdf.

Het eerste cluster is ongeldig.

De vermelding wordt afgebroken.

De bestanden en mappen zijn gecontroleerd.

Verloren ketens omzetten in bestanden (J/N)? j

16 kB in 1 herstelbare bestanden.

Er zijn problemen met het bestandssysteem vastgesteld.

Voer CHKDSK uit met de optie /F (fix) om deze problemen te herstellen.

28.710.128 kB totale schijfruimte.

1.348.256 kB in 693 verborgen bestanden.

40.752 kB in 2.496 mappen.

18.365.808 kB in 39.365 bestanden.

8.955.264 kB beschikbaar.

16.384 bytes per cluster

1.794.383 clusters in totaal op schijf

559.704 clusters beschikbaar op schijf

C:\Documents and Settings\Kristof Jacobs>

If you only connected to the internet in Linux then why didn't you run a firewall? And why bother running one if you're not conencted in windows? (Although that may not be completely ridiculous because, as iphitus said, windows may well have been connecting without your knowledge...)

You may be relatively safe from viruses on Linux, but not quite so safe from crackers - you need a firewall...