Ebook reader/desktop orientation tool for Linux?

mikeee

Hey all, I'm new to linux and this board, happy to be part of the community. B)

I'm into ebooks (mostly gutenberg etexts) and am looking either for

a ) A good ebook reader/ebook organizer

b ) If the ebook reader doesn't allow me to switch to side-view (useful for laptop bedtime reading :) ) a program that will allow me to change my desktop orientation, if such a thing exists. I'm using mandrake 10.1 with default KDE 3.2. Help is appreciated :)

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks, that looks about like what I need. Unfortunately, the areas for rotating the desktop are greyed out. Does this mean my hardware doesn´t support this/i need new drivers/something else needs to be installed?

Thanks for replying in such a timely manner and sorry for my late reply.

Mike

The only thing I know is that there is no Linux software to handle Microsoft's .LIT format.

You have to extract the file using CLit, a command line util that pulls out the covers, the text in html format and an XML file.

Then you can read the book in any html reader you like.

Nate

• 1 month later...

This is my first attempt at giving advice rather than asking for it (I'm very much very new to linux/mandrake), so appologies if its completely useless :joker:

I've just got myself a new screen which can quite happily rotate, and since i like to be different i've decided i like it sideways (rotated left 90*).

Good old windows did it no problem so its not a hardware thing, but mandrake refused (screen resize and rotate section greyed out).

However, I have found the sollution, after browsing nvidia's readmes. it appears that screen resize and rotate utilises the xrandr command and this only supports rotation on xorg 6.8 and above, and despite running mandrake 10.1 which i assumed had the latests versions of everything i found it only comes with 6.7 :o

A quick update to 6.8 as well as installing latest nvidia drivers, and firstly at the terminal

xrandr -o left

does exactly what i wanted (where as before the upgrade i got an error), and on further investigation the screen resize and rotate section is magically un-greyed out :thumbs:

A word of warning regarding the xorg upgrade, my first attempt was from sources, which appeared to work but did give me annoying keyboard problems (having to restart KDE to get the keyboard working :wall: ) second attempt was from Thac's RPM's (courtesty of this thread http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=23130). simply put, as root run

urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/thac/10.1/RPMS with hdlist.cz

followed by

urpmi -v xorg-x11

takes a while on my rather pathetic internet connection, but it worked fine.

I hope this helps

Owen Mc

If the options are greyed out, it probably means your hardware doesn't support rotation or reflection. They are greyed out for me, too and here is the output of xrandr -q:

SZ:    Pixels          Physical      Refresh

*0  1024 x 768    ( 313mm x 232mm )  *60 

1    800 x 600    ( 313mm x 232mm )  60  56 

2    640 x 480    ( 313mm x 232mm )  60 

Current rotation - normal

Current reflection - none

Rotations possible - normal

Reflections possible - none

I had the same thing from xrandr before i upgraded xorg, and after the upgrade it shows "normal, left, right and inverted" as being availble rotations

It does depend on the graphics card you use as well as the X.org version. It's true that X.org 6.7 didn't support rotation for any card (AFAIK) but it's not the case that 6.8 supports rotation for all cards. The nvidia and ATI proprietary drivers can do it, I think, not sure about other cards. So it's certainly likely some people will have the option available and others won't.