Router recommendation

Dutch

Hi folks

My kids are now expected to go on the Net for schoolwork so I need to find a decent wired ADSL router. Could you recommend one that's OK with Linux - I'd rather spend money on a recommendation :thumbs:

Also is it best to use one that has a built in modem or should I just use my current speedtouch...?

Any pointers gratefully received! :thanks:

D

They're all pretty much of a muchness now - I'd keep the speedtouch and just go for a router, probably save some money that way.

Linksys are very good, and Netgear are nice too. I have a generic little chinese wonder that works beautifully - you could also just by a cheap switching-hub and build your own router/firewall out of an old 486/pentium box if you want to make a project of it ;)

Is the speedtouch USB or does it also have ethernet - I understand some Speedtouches have both USB and ethernet. Some only have USB - can you get hold of a router that has a USB connection? It makes sense of course if its possible to go for the router option if you already have an accomodating modem ( or should that read vice versa?!).

I use a Netgear - cable, not wireless; it routes, has built-in adsl modem - and firewall. Tad on the expensive side though - I bought it in a rush without too much consideration. But you can get alternative manufacturers at lower costs. Anyway, for reference, I use Netgear DG834 - and it works grand.

I've got a Speedtouch 330 - USB only, and if that's like yours then forget about using it with a router. It needs the USB connection to a host PC to load the firmware at runtime.

At work we use a Netgear router that's stayed up for several months without needing a reboot, so I guess I'd call that a good purchase.

Guest chesneysteve

I have a similar issue with my kids. I have tried two approaches.

1: just use a hub to connect the kids machines and my linux box together . Then set up shorewall on the mandrake box and use the existing speedtouch modem on the mandrake box to connect permanently to the internet. The mandrake system then acts as the router/firewall/dhcp server. You will need to manually configure the dhcp server to set up the dns addresses supplied by your ISP or if they don't have fixed DNS ips then do something clever with resolv.conf and the dhcpd.conf file.

This system worked well but had some disadvantages.

Firstly the speedtouch sometimes drops the connection, I never found out if this was an ISP problem or not. However I never was able to make the speedtouch reconnect without rebooting the mandrake box. I ended up giving the kids a little script that used ssh to reboot the mandrake box.

Secondly If I wanted to play around with the mandrake box I risked dropping the internet connection and risking the moans from the kids who will be playing games and using msn to talk to their mates rather than doing their homework.

So I changed to solution 2

NETGEAR DG834G Integrated ADSL Modem 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless Firewall Router.

This will replace your speedtouch and costs about £50.00 It does everything you want without any fuss. It really is easy to setup, comes with 4 10/100 ethernet ports, dhcp, firewall and wireless. So what if you don't need the wireless bit, just disable it. It doesn't care what kind of system you connect to it so Linux support is not a problem. Mine has been installed since October 2004 and I haven't touched it since.

So there you go

Best Regards

Steve Chesney

Just about any router would do the job.

I have an old yum cha cable/adsl router and it's interface is enough to make you want to cry, looks like it was created in microsoft word and appears to use lots of clipart :P

But it works, and heck, nearly anything would work.

I agree with iphitus... practically everything should work....

Hence I use this as an opportunity to vote with my wallet.

Since netgear shamefacedly screwed me over by sticking the drivers for driverloader oops Windows in a non-wineable self extracting .exe and basically did everything they could to prevent it being used with linux I refuse to use any of their other products ..ever until they make amends.

Lately after being threatened with court action by FSF they finally posted the source code for their linux/netfilter based routers however this doesnt cut the mustard for me since they already used linux illegally for so long and actually set out to make non wineable extracting drivers.

To be honest it was the shere effort they put into preventing it being used under linux that pissed me. Had it been alck of providing a driver that's one thing but actually locking it in a .exe is another!

So I'd rather go with someone who supports linux.

see

http://mm.gnu.org.in/pipermail/fsf-friends...ril/001918.html

http://gl.scofacts.org/gl-20040626011624480.html

afaik linksys support linux. its widely publicised that their wireless routers run it, and its even possible to modify it and compile a new kernel for it and stuff!

Which makes it a company I'd rather give my money too.

I just wish you could register WHY you bought the product when you buy it!

Even if I don't modify the kernel etc. the fact they

its widely publicised that their wireless routers run it
can only be good for linux :D so they get my money.

Sitecom were the first company to get caught and then others like netgear followed (reluctantly and partially at first) but if Linksys are willing to endorse it and publicise it then all otherthings being equal they get my money....

even if its a bit more its probably worth it because that way you know other products you buy will likely work too. This was my prob with the netgear router... it worked so I presumed the WG311 would work... big mistake and the start of my unhappy time...

(it now works...)

Many thanks for your advice.

I did look at Smoothwall (I've got an oldish spare box) but TBH I haven't got the time to have a good run at it - even though I'd enjoy it! :headbang: Ah, the joys of work and kids!

Netgear was looking favourite but like Gowator, I tend to vote with my wallet and buy hardware from pro-Linux companies. It also looks like Linksys fell foul of the FSF too. I guess I'm stuffed and will have to buy a cheapo and hope for the best :juggle:

Thanks again....I'll be back asking more stupid questions!

D

:thanks:

Edited by Dutch