Mouse not working on 10.1

Guest instromaniac

I wish I could see the mouse part of each machines xorg.conf, while its failing.

hth

Kristi

EDIT:  actually, knowing the chipset of each machine would also help a lot, I suspect.

a bit of work but i'lll get on it

this works

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

after a reboot

the same entry is there but the mouse will not work

I've noticed that unless i change to a different mouse i will not get a mouse

i change from wheel to standard and immediately the mouse works i go back and set it to wheel and it still works. i reboot ..this is there :

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

but the mouse does not work

rebooting doesn't change entries in xorg.conf but it does make the mouse not work

this pc happens to be a dual boot but none of the other pc's with this issue are dual boot

HP/Compaq d220 2.4 ghz

dual boot xp md 10.1

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "Intel Corp."

BoardName "Intel 845"

Driver "i810"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

as it turns out the pc i was building for today has started installing 10.0 i'll abort and do 10.1 i'd like to resolve this now that it seems i might be hot on the trail

machine 2 is installing lets look at machine 3:

exact same issue as the HP/Compaq

AMD 760 MPX chipset

AMD 762 systyem controller {n bridge}

AMD 768 bus contrlr {s bridge}

Dual AMD Athlon 2100

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "ATI"

BoardName "ATI Rage XL"

Driver "ati"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Tyan Thunder k7x s2468 MB reboot =no mouse

Edited by ddmcse

Damn - must be bad karma... :P

I do not have an answer and probably won't have an answer, but I'm heading out and will be back in a few hours and will look at it then. Wondering what's in modprobe.preload and modprobe.conf before and after. You're doing some great sleuthing!!!!!

Also what's in inittab before and after.

Damn!!! Wish some of the pros would jump in here!!!

later.

Kristi

Continuing thoughts - I see a lot of "hp ps2 mouse" in there go try a couple of brandy new el cheepo PS2 mice. Don't mix old mice with new ones - keep track of the new ones.

Are you copying the partition to these new machines, or doing a new install on each one. Should be doing a new install on each machine.

I am guessing these are "old" machines that used to be windows boxes.? Having owned a Compaq at one point and later finding it was compatible with about nothing other than what was in the box, you might want to throw a quick windows gen on the troublesome boxes.

But the basic point, I know of nothing that would allow a mouse to work in 10.0 and not work in 10.1, though LOTS of things changed in the kernel and therefore drivers.. Googling I see a bunch of stuff with mouse probs and 2.6.9 kernel

10.2 is about out and I've been running 10.2b3mm for a bit now.... Just a thought.

Just trying to help, but that's it from this person.

Sorry.

KRisti

i usuallly only clean install...no upgrades however i did upgrade one box from 10.0 to 10.1 it has security set to higher and i was nervious about putting 10.1 on it because of the mouse issue . after the upgrade my 1st and only md upgrade the mouse worked fine ( i strongly recommend never upgrading .. it blows away a majority of your needed settings i.e. apache stuff and i forget what else i had to re-config / re -tool ).

i see the answer on the boards now, it's a security setting issue ..kinda funny it did occur to me today that these PC's have different security settings and the ones with low security have no problem . i like to set security to higher rather than standard . I tried the"fix" on the dual amd server and it is the answer , but it's still a bug and it still happens in 10.2 rc3 . so tell everyone to set security to the lowest level ? ha . one more thing ..why the heck wasn't mandrake at linux world 2005 is boston ? and why the heck wasn't mandrake at linux world 2004 in NY ? wtf

http://www.ddmcse.com/linux

anyway, K thank you for your time and help with this iissue .

dd

Glad you have an understanding of the answer. I agree, It's not good...

I did, too, wonder why MDK wasn't at Boston. RedHat sure had a big presence. But then I wasn't terribly impressed by anything there, though it might have been different if I were still working. Besides, no sample blades were being given out... :cheesy:

Kristi

Glad you have an understanding of the answer.  I agree, It's not good...

I did, too, wonder why MDK wasn't at Boston.  RedHat sure had a big presence.  But then I wasn't terribly impressed by anything there, though it might have been different if I were still working.  Besides, no sample blades were being given out...    :cheesy: 

Kristi

Virtual Iron was impressive , did you catch it ?

virtual computing is definatly the future , currently i'm fooling with vmware ....what a mind bender to be able to run 3 or 4 fully functional systems off one PC at the same time ..forget wine and crossover , just use a throw away install.

.i've been running a vm machine off a linux host pc for a few months and i tell you it's very stable . i think after i get done fooling with a mythtv- freevo type thingie i wanna build a SunRay set up or an advanced LTSP setup. so back to the bug is there some way to escalate it to get it in front of someone's eyes ? the last thing i want to do is post something on the MD club site or something and be told to try this and try that

Virtual Iron was impressive  , did you catch it ?

virtual computing is definatly the future , currently i'm fooling with vmware ....what a mind bender to be able to run 3 or 4 fully functional systems off one PC at the same time ..forget wine and  crossover , just use a throw away install.

.i've been running a vm machine off a linux host pc for a few months and i tell you it's very stable . i think after i get done fooling with a mythtv- freevo type thingie i wanna build a SunRay set up or an advanced LTSP setup. so back to the bug is there some way to escalate it to get it in front of  someone's eyes ? the last thing i want to do is post something on the MD club site or something and be told to try this and try that

Nope...

You are doing much more with your machine than I am. About all i do is web, email, ng's, TV, DVDs, movies, and a smattering of other things. It is literally just an entertainment toy.

Kristi

i usuallly only clean install...no upgrades however i did upgrade one box from 10.0 to 10.1 it has security set to higher and i was nervious about putting 10.1 on it because of the mouse issue . after the upgrade my 1st and only md upgrade the mouse worked fine  ( i strongly recommend never upgrading .. it blows away a majority of your needed settings i.e. apache stuff and i forget what else i had to re-config / re -tool ).

i see the answer on the boards now,  it's a security setting issue ..kinda funny it did occur to me today that these PC's have different security settings and the ones with low security have no problem . i like to set security to higher rather than standard . I tried the"fix" on the dual amd server and it is the answer , but it's still a bug and it still happens in 10.2 rc3  . so tell everyone to set security to the lowest level ? ha . one more thing  ..why the heck wasn't mandrake at linux world 2005 is boston ?  and why the heck wasn't mandrake at linux world  2004 in NY ? wtf 

http://www.ddmcse.com/linux

anyway,  K thank you for your time and help with this iissue .

dd

Hey there ddmcse, did you see that 10.2rc1 (2.6.11-1mdk) is out - I wonder if your prob is fixed in the 2.6.11 kernel?

Just a thought!

Kristi

if you have an accurate summary of the issue, what causes it and what the current resolution is (looks like you do), post a bug! http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/ . it really works, some maintainers watch bugzilla more than others but it's definitely the company policy to base a lot of work off bugzilla. You should probably file it against msec (the security manager) to start with, not sure if this is correct but if not the msec maintainer will move it to the appropriate package.

As for Linux World - well, we just plain don't have the staff presence in the States, that's why. MDK does make it to the major European expos, as that's where the staff are :). As MDKsoft expands and our Stateside presence gets bigger, I hope that'll change, but I don't have any specific info on that.

Guest neorosbob

I have been having the same problem with my mouse configurations and have been able to replicate the problem accross serveral desktops and laptops. I have found some notes reffering to HardDrake overwritting the config file every boot. I've disabled harddrake as suggested so I don't have to reconfigure everytime, but that hasn't done it?

Have you had any further luck?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest instromaniac
then get an MX700, it just works like a regular USB mouse. Yes, I know that since you shelled out ridiculous amounts of money for the more expensive model this advice isn't really practical, but I couldn't resist. :)

Yep, it's an expensive thing, but hell, you get a bluetooth adapter with it, so since my PC didn't have one that's quite handy :P

Everything seems to work fine now btw. There were two things that did the trick, as I've explained here;

using udev instead of devfs

getting the appropiate bluetooth software with urpmi. :)

Edited by instromaniac