Help!!

Guest chris4555

Guest chris4555

Mandrak 10.1 i can edit any file through my conputer. I can log in as root through therminal but through my computer every file is protected. IE in root group and stats I dont have rights to these. Is there a way to get access to these. Is my machine fu####. Want to edit some files but there all read only. Please help

[moved from Laptops by spinynorman]

hi there.

first of all a basic question: are you unable to edit your files once you login as root or do you mean that you are not able to edit the files in the root-system as anormal user? the latter case is the normal case and a security measure in order to make your system safe, e.g. protecting your system against accidental deleting of files or folders. you can however log in as root and then you should be able to edit every file you want although you should not login as root and fiddle around in your filesystem if you do not know what you are doing. working as root can result in catastrophic mishaps for untrained linux-users, ;)

Guest chris4555

Thanks for that. Then the 1 big major question is. How do I log in as root so I can edit change files through my computer. I can log in as root through the terminal no problem. But I need to change there files using gnome. I know what files Im changing I only want to edit /etc/resolve.conf so I can add dns. PLEASE HELP. WHERE and how do I log in as root. My linux just boots straight up to Gnome. Please step by step

open a new terminal the type

su

then the root password

now you have full system access inside that terminal window as root.

If you want to do it through Gnome then just log out and then it gives you a normal login box so put the user name as root then the password and then feel free to edit anything you want :)

Just be careful though, other wise the install discs might come back out :o

Guest chris4555

So need to make sure this is clear. My system boots straight up into gnome. So if I open terminal and type gnomesu it will let me have have full root access be going through my computer doing it through a gui.

And also if my machine boots up into gnome. How do I log out so it just goes back to old style terminal screen no gui. And then from gui how do I get root access to go through gnome. Please make it clear guys im pulling out my hair here and very very very new to linux. But having to learn extremly quick lol

Guest chris4555

init3 is that in terminal window...U see I tried booting up the OS without going into gnome. I put in root user and password no problem then hit startx went into gnome but still no premissions through my cumputer through gnome its self

Chris, there's no need to log out of Gnome. Just login to Gnome as a normal user, click on the terminal icon, type gnomesu nautilus, enter the root password, and you can use Nautilus as root. When you leave Nautilus (or any other application you choose with gnomesu), you revert to being a normal user.

Guest chris4555

Thankyou ohh godly one. Will try this tonight when I get home. You wouldent belive im a systems engineer looking after 3000+ users lol....ahh windows controls all. But soon with me my home will only be a linux enviroment

Edited by chris4555

Chris - now I'm home, I've found that gnomesu is not installed by default. If you go to http://rpm.pbone.net and click on one of the i586 rpms, you should be prompted to open it with the Software Installer. Opt to install rather than just download, and accept the offer of the dependencies, then you should be set.

Gnomesu now works for me. :)

This method is just for installing odds and sods that aren't included in your usual sources. Have you set up urpmi using easyurpmi? If not, I suggest you read our urpmi faq.