New default theme for GNOME: Clearlooks

iphitus

bvc: as cybrjackie says, the 'default' theme means the theme that GNOME ships its tarballs with. How else could you possibly define it? the GNOME organisation makes an official release of GNOME which is a set of tarballs you download from ftp.gnome.org. Download those, build them, you get Simple. It's not 'just a screenshot theme' or something. Sure, distros use what they want to, distros have always customised the official releases of everything, that doesn't mean the official release doesn't have a default.

as stated, by far more involved and knowledgable people than you or I...it is for screenshots. I said Simple was the default /didn't you say that Simple was the default? \yes, you did say that Simple was the default...

....screenshot theme :cheeky:

ok, so...about wha? .08% (probably a lot less) of the people that use gnome actually build it from gnome tarballs? Anyone that does that already knows what to expect>Simple.

I'm *Simply* saying it doesn't matter and never will yet people fight about the decision? .as if millions are going to see it? hehehe.. Now, go look at the screenshots. Do you see Simple? No...you do not. It is obvious why. Will you see Clearlooks Should it become the default? Probably. It looks good. That is the good news here. That gnome sees the need. Good news. Bad new is those hideous icons remain :lol2:

oh, and cybr wasn't talking to me ;)

he knows I've done LFS

Edited by bvc

Right, distros like slack and a handful of others don't patch or make changes.

Pat from slack hates Gnome to begin with so don't expect him to make changes, in fact more than likey pretty soon slack will stop shipping Gnome altogher and you can do dropline or Heaven forbid compile it from src :D

Right, distros like slack and a handful of others don't patch or make changes.

Pat from slack hates Gnome to begin with so don't expect him to make changes, in fact more than likey pretty soon slack will stop shipping Gnome altogher and you can do dropline or Heaven forbid compile it from src :D

one reason, why slack will loose many more users in the near future (pat "lost" already me and two friends of mine and lots of other users).

Arch doesnt modify the themes that come with the tarballs, and it uses simple on a default install here.

bvc: HIG colours are good, if you use them well. The gnome icons, and some of the clearlooks themes use hig colours and they use them well.

I made these and all, but one, are HIG only....they look good...what is your point exactly?

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=20946

there is only one clearlooks theme that use HIG colors...I looked at the others a few days ago ;) it is Clearlooks-Ubuntu and the colors came from the above linked AnachronHUMAN.

but

Clearlooks (default)

Clearlooks-DeepSky

Clearlooks-Olive

do not and I can't imagine you'd say something I've spent so much time in has something it does not :rolleyes:

Any time spent reading forums, OSNew, theme sites whatever screams....change the ugly gnome icons! You like'em..use'em...that's cool. The color of them is not necessarily the prob. You've only assumed so.

Edited by bvc

Any time spent reading forums, OSNew, theme sites whatever screams....change the ugly gnome icons! You like'em..use'em...that's cool. The color of them is not necessarily the prob. You've only assumed so.

the problem with the default gnome icons is that most icons do not have enough contrast and/or saturation. this makes them look rather dull, which is a pity.

• 1 month later...
Guest raxxal
Oh yeah, I like the clean look of it, for a "default"  better than the current "default-from-gnome.org"

hard to belive anyone wouldn't...of course, I've always wondered why Simple was ever even chosen.

"checkout these screenshots of the default gnome desktop. don't let your eyes deceive you, it is not win95...we promise" :lol2:

By the way, how do I change the default gnome desktop?

Guest Adriano1

I really like the default theme in Gnome. It doesn't get in my way. I'm not a fan of snazzy icons or garish wallpapers. I just want a sensible default that doesn't blind me when I code. I think apart from a few icons, gnome's are really well thought out.

Of course, it doesn't look shiny. But think about it: do you surround your physical desk with lots of chrome and crystals or keep it clean?

Gnome lets me work. I enjoy that.