New default theme for GNOME: Clearlooks

iphitus

GNOME 2.12 will use clearlooks as its default theme.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-dev...y/msg00453.html

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-dev...y/msg00458.html

About time tho, for those who havnt tried clearlooks, its a new and very impressive GTK theme engine.

Old theme:

http://www.fireflybsd.com/screenshots/gnome-mailcal.png

New theme:

http://clearlooks.sourceforge.net/screenshots/

it's nice that its a new theme, but it just doesnt seem new. It doesnt feel 'special'. Doesnt really inspire me, none of the linux themes really inspire me that much.

I think it's a better choice theme than any of the others out there, but Linux needs something more.

Remember OSX and the splash its amazing UI made? people still imitate that. Windows XP made a bit of a splash too -- heck, back in the days before XP was released and before i used linux, i replicated it on my crappy ole win 95 laptop.

Linux just needs something awesome and inspiring - and that everyone likes.

Pretty much the holy grail for any designer.

iphitus

Well I think it's funny really. The 'Gnome' default is nothing. Uhhu...nothing but gtk defaults. Look at the /usr/share/themes/default/gtk-2.0/gtkrc and you'll see....nothing. So, if anything, what is being discussed is finally implimenting something other than the hideous gtk default HIG colors and giving gnome an default engine. If that is the case, then it's about time! Anything is better than gtk/HIG!

If what was announced was related to RH, as implied, and that this is just the temp/possibly concrete decision, then it's just that Bluecurve, as the default theme, is finally and possibly being replaced. Or with Ubuntu, Industrial is being replaced.

I don't see the big deal here with distros changing the default 'theme'. Most people change it anyway. Gnome 2.10 isn't even out yet and another engine better for a default than clearlooks could arise, especially after this fire has been started. So who can say what Gnome 2.12 will use? ;) Not even the anouncement set anything in concrete. ;)

Edited by bvc

bvc: GNOME does have a default, industrial. Of course there's nothing in gtkrc; gtkrc is what you use when you _don't_ want to use the default, the _default_ is what the DE uses when there is no gtkrc.

However, this topic isn't accurate. Nothing has been decided yet. Clearlooks is a candidate for the new default in 2.12, nothing more. Eugenia misread the Gnome ML messages, posted as if it was a decision on OSNews, and everything snowballed from there. All that's known is that there's _going_ to be a new default for 2.12 (about time), and this is the leading contender so far.

Well, the last time I installed LFS and Slackware, industrial isn't even there ;) Industrial, IS NOT gnomes default, or if it 'officially' is not everyone obeys :lol2: . May be ximian gnomes default...may be ubuntu's...but they are not gnome.

Edited by bvc

sorry, I don't quite get your point. Are you still maintaining that there's no default theme? That's clearly impossible, otherwise GNOME just wouldn't work. It wouldn't have an interface. GTK+ doesn't have some kind of 'innate' interface, you have to have a GTK+ theme otherwise GTK+ doesn't work. If you don't believe me, just try wiping all the theme files and running a GTK+ app, or something.

What does my above post say? The opposite of what you just said. Have you ever made a theme? I ask because if you had, you would know that when you goof in your code

/usr/share/themes/default/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

is used, just like it says above. It is the default. Nothing. This is hardcoded into gtk as a failsafe. If anything other than it is the default it is because a distro decided something other than the default would be. There's only one reason I won't log out and

mv -f /usr/share/themes/ /usr/share/themesOLD

and login. It's because I know what I'm talking about and have lost user home dirs while theming engines despite removing all gconf, gnome, and mcity dirs/files. You are more than welcome to do it though. I have nothing to prove and won't spend the time making another user. The time I've spent theming is enough proof, not to mention what /usr/share/themes/default/gtk-2.0/gtkrc has to says. I could say I did and no one would know the diff. While one distro may do it another may not. There's no one single way to know. Point is, even if you found a gnome-devel mailing list post that said "'Simple' is the gnome default theme" (and it is) and it is different than /usr/share/themes/default/gtk-2.0/gtkrc woohoo. Distros decide what is the gnome default for their distro. So it makes no diff what gnome says now does it? Why? Because it would be extremely stupid for gnome-devel to make any engine the default fallback failsafe. 'No engine' is the default as a failsafe so that you can get to your desktop, or don't get kicked out of gnome, when something isn't right.

They chose a theme (Simple) as the 'default' for one reason only. They have to post screenshots of the Gnome Desktop Environment and Simple looks better than GTK/HIG. That is the only reason and you'll find that on the desktop-devel mailing list, Newsforge, and OSNews ;)

You might have seen someone post at the above link/OSNews that it seems the rh devel is deciding the default theme for gnome. 98% of the post on this issue at OSNews are by people that have no understanding of how things are done as explained above. RH has always be a major influence which way gnome goes in about everything. This is nothing new and no big deal. Mandrake, SuSE, Gentoo, and Ubuntu will still do what they want. There is no such thing and a gnome default engine, except no engine >GTK/HIG and people that post such nonesense at OSNew haven't a clue what a 'default' for gnome is. They do not know they are talking about a screenshot theme :lol2:

Edited by bvc

If you d/l the gnome tree and compile it, you will "probably" see clearlook or something new in Gnome-2.12.

As far as 2.10 it's "froze" so they aint changing it :P

As far as Distro A B and C through X Y and Z, they can do whatever they want for a theme......

Oh yeah, I like the clean look of it, for a "default"  better than the current "default-from-gnome.org"

hard to belive anyone wouldn't...of course, I've always wondered why Simple was ever even chosen.

"checkout these screenshots of the default gnome desktop. don't let your eyes deceive you, it is not win95...we promise" :lol2:

Edited by bvc