Must be burnout...

Yesterday, I told someone to issue the command;

root

in order to su to root :cheesy:

Burn out? That's what I call it, but that can be considered a good thing cos, look at all the people you have helped!

Here's to ya :beer:

Heh....i saw that. I was like 'huh?' (Even tried it myself in case it was some obscure alias to 'su' i didn't know about.)

Another thing that would help.

Consistency. Go look at threads with newbies looking for help, theres often multiple different and sometimes incorrect responses to the problem.

Don't even get me started on this one. (See, I toldja there was more pent up inside.)....Several times lately, I've given someone a a perfectly good answer, only to have someone come along behind me and contradict me, confusing them.

True, but a few can't do the work of a community. When I was first burned out, in an attempt to chill, I'd watch for days as this would happen and I'd finally show up and lead in the right direction.

Follow some of my recent posts and you might see how I arrived at this point at this time.

ROTFL :lol2::lol2::lol2:

root=no_alias

:lol2:

yeah, I've noticed the trend

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that some of us spend far too much time here to be considered healthy (myself included ).

Logging in every spare moment of the day and night, neglecting other chores in favour of being here.

Late for work or late going out for the evening all because i am stuck on this damn board, and there is no real reason for me to be here that often.........or at all unless there is a major board tech problem.

Its some kind of weird addiction thats hard to break free of.

When i noticed that i had hit 5,000 posts i thought to myself, "thats it, you bloody lunatic......take a break, you have a dozen other things that need doing, so go do them" And i did for about one day. :wall::wall::wall:

QUOTE(iphitus @ Mar 3 2005, 11:26 PM)

Another thing that would help.

Consistency. Go look at threads with newbies looking for help, theres often multiple different and sometimes incorrect responses to the problem.

Don't even get me started on this one. (See, I toldja there was more pent up inside.)....Several times lately, I've given someone a a perfectly good answer, only to have someone come along behind me and contradict me, confusing them.

LOL

Feels familiar.... but hey look at this we are acting more like a community than ever....

I have been doing the exact same thing..even to the point of steering something but saying "... after you have tried what XXXX says then perhaps try this..." but even so i always wait till they answer the real questions....

I even (and I know this is bad) look at a few posts and see say steve is the last to answer and don't bother checking since I have "well theyre in good hands"...

(same with you bvc except when I see the word root access :D ) and same with iph or lots of others (jeez now Im worrying about leaving people out)....

:thanks: to everyone really....

I even (and I know this is bad) look at a few posts and see say steve is the last to answer and don't bother checking since I have "well theyre in good hands"... 

(same with you bvc except when I see the word root access :D  ) and same with iph or lots of others (jeez now Im worrying about leaving people out).... 

:thanks:  to everyone really....

Good, you obviously havnt cottoned on to our world domination plan :D

I do the same too, I see gowator's replied and think, well if they can read gowator's verbose essay, im sure they'll be alright :P

iphitus

I do the same too, I see gowator's replied and think, well if they can read gowator's verbose essay, im sure they'll be alright :P

iphitus

Ouch :help:

Yep problem is (and I know Im not the only one) sometimes I see a post needs answering and think, hey ill drop some encouragement and /bump it a bit even though I can't be any real help (my knowledgeof Gnomes is not great for instance) ... hence beware ....

Stolen from another forum... thought it might be appropriate levity here..

How many forum users does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

1 to move it to the Lighting section

2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

Hey Steve,

I hear you man!

Luckily I do get some 'thank you"s sometimes for my website, but half the email I get is from people who think I have all the time in the world to fix their problems, although they would have been able to fix their own problems had they read my site, or had they come here and asked about it.

I don't even expect anything anymore in return, and if someone then does write some 'thank you'-note, it really makes a difference.

Enough to motivate me more? No. Just enough to not feel stupid about the time I 'wasted' here and on my website.

Of course, I do make myself sparse here from time to time. I've been posting answers for the past week, but a month ago I wouldn't read the help requests for weeks on end.

BTW I had a ROFL moment I noticed bvc make that

root

command advice - and like you, I first tried it,.. you just don't know, maybe the guy figured out a more direct way, just like shouting 'beer!' in some pubs will get you that...

:beer:

I agree that someitmes it's hard, it seems there are many that just don't really know and they are many, and those in the know are few.

But for instance a guy like adamw is a top notch 'new' member, he's got lots of experience and know-how, we can't leave a guy like that alone!

:P

So the point is: relax if you need to, before you get too tired with it. It's okay to take some time off or just take it easy.

No one is paying you.

No one is expecting anything from you.

So the thing is, why do you do it?

Why do we do it?

Why do I do it?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm into spreading Linux.

And I've seen the light lately.

Let me explain....

First, I thought it would be cool if I could go into the shop and get hardware and use that with Linux, just any kind of hardware, a scanner, a webcam, etc.

And I wanted Linux to pick up steam, to get more software and hardware, etc.

So my point was: if Linux is more used, all issues are solved: hardware compatibility (no hardware vendor is really against Linux, but they don't see the point, and today with Linux and _no_ MSWin on what, 2% of all desktops, they're right, somehow...), software available (games),....

So I wanted to spread Linux. Just from my egocentrical point of view. Because it would make my life easier, surer to have my digital freedom, my Linux, my .. precious.... :jester:

Then I realised: I have my usb drive, webcam, scanner, printers, ... actually, my hardware needs are none. And hey, I don't care for games, but what there is in FOSS land also fulfils my needs, and then there are some proprietary Linux games I once bought, good enough for me.

So from my egotistical point of view, it would be time to stop with all this.

So not too long ago it dawned on me. People don't seem to care about FOSS, digital freedom, etc.

Because they don't know, don't understand, don't see the imminent dangers and risks. They don't care enough to see the upcoming issues and problems.

But that doesn't mean they should not be able to _have_ digital freedom.

It's like healthy people who only realise the 'value' of their health once they've lost it.

So I keep on spreading Linux and FOSS. And even if a person doesn't acknowledge that my efforts helped them, if they did help them, it's o.k.

Yeah, makes you all warm and fuzzy - we're all saving the world after all.

:cheesy:

Well I suffer from burnout, but not from answering questions.

I know I've always tried to say thank you for any help that I have gotten and if I missed a couple I am sorry. Thank you!!!! < and I really mean that>

The burn out I've suffered with with windows/linux/computers in general. I think most of it was because I was off work for so long and had "too" much time to mess around on the pc. Trying different things and them not working right away. The two didn't mix at all.

Steve I've always appreciated all the help you have given me in #musb. Most some of the time it was using your 'google goddness" and some of the times it was a linux question. You've been a great deal of help to me, along with others in the chat also.

Now that I've started working again and getting away from the pc/laptop/computers in general things are getting better. Only problem I'm having now is I'm getting the itch to distro hoe again. :cheeky: <and I know you'll appreciate this Steve> But UBUNTU is the one still floating my boat. :joker: