K.I.S.S.

kristi

I can't believe this is the same person who opened this post complaining about the lack of intelligible information. :)

Just my 2 pee, but when I arrived here as a newbie (not so very log ago either), I found the CLI-talk utterly confusing. And there is a tendency to go over the newbie's head with a lot of directions that are very basic to you, the 'grand poobah' (love that!). But I don't think that's fear of the CLI, it's just that you don't have a clue what is being said.

That can create embarrassment in the newbie - "Wow, clearly that's so basic even I should know it!" - I can imagine a fair few do leg it after that.

But what's to do? I usually start by answering with a question, to try and guage just how green the asker actually is. It's a hit-and-miss strategy...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe!

:cheeky:

I still hate cli!

But loving mdk10.2rc1!

Kristi

How can you hate a CLI?

Its just a basic tool and the base for the whole system.

Sometimes people will go to great length to prevent themselves having to type a whole line instead of 1-2 days messing about with a GUI...this i don't get.

Its impossible for the gUI to be able to do anything the CLI can't and will always be. A GUI just issues commands to the CLI on your behalf.

Sure its convenient sometimes or even often but its like you just bought a 5 gear car but prefer to just use first gear. It'll still get you from A-B just not quickly ... but 2nd gear is nothing to be scared off... then third ..etc.

I once had a taxi ride for over 1000 km of desert where the taxi driver refused to use 5th gear because his own car didn't have one. I honestly felt unsafe because his lack of knowledge/awareness was frightening and we were in the middle of the desert.

The GUI provides a little in the way of automatic gears but what it can't do is know when changing down would be good .... it will usually accomplish what you want but perhaps not exactly or as quickly.

the CLI is nothing to be scared of... indeed a GUI should be more intimidating... all that ability to bork your system/delete your files etc. with a bad mouse click?

It is the one with the chainmail coif on the front:

Beowulf: A New Verse Translation

Of course there are translations :)  Seamus Heaney's (sp?) translation of Beowulf is very very nice.

I just looked at Amazon and found 3 (or more) possibilities for the Seamus Heaney translation - can you tell me which one?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...0353402-1399112

tia!

Kristi

:cheesy:

I think I feel about GUIs as you feel about CLIs

Unto each their own!

:thumbs:

Kristi

Except the GUI just issues commands for the CLI...the CLI is the base... it is by definition impossible to do something in the GUI that cannot be done in the CLI ... but not the other way round...

Im using a GUI now... no probs.. and do for 90% of what I do but 10% just can't be done efficiently .. knowing when to use each tool is the trick...

Also you can't expect the sakme degree of support for the GUI, it just takes too long. slect this, click that blah blah... when i could just type a line for you to copy and paste..

Sometimes people are stubborn: tell me where you are and Ill make an urpmi file for you but you wil need to type something at the CLI. Or I'll adjust your XF86Config.. but I will NEVER tell you how to do it through the GUI because its a waste of time and pointless and I will not resort to 20 screenshots because you refuse to do it the easy way. If people are not willing to type a line on the CLI they don't deserve help. They don't need to be experts but refusing on principle will get you very quickly on my shortlist of will not help. This is a VERY short list... you can disagree and even call me names and i don't care but if you refuse to use the CLI altogether you are on the list.