10.2b3 and Nvidia driver install [solved]

kristi

As adamw and I have said, there is a problem with the kernel-source that comes with beta 3. It is a typo, which can be fixed. The link I gave describes how. It will not work unless you edit a file in the source. It does not matter by which method you install the source; it will have that typo. The kernel-multimedia-source rpm is in the contrib section of cooker, along with the multimedia kernel. Look on your mirror in mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/cooker/media/contrib/

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I was a bit concise :). rolf's pretty much nailed it, his link is the right fix for -3mdk, and as he said, you can get kernel-multimedia from Cooker contrib. 10.1 contrib will only have 2.6.7, obviously, as contrib gets frozen for release like main does. Whenever you use betas, you should use Cooker mirrors as urpmi sources, not stable, as the betas are effectively Cooker. http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to set up Cooker sources, of course.

As adamw and I have said, there is a problem with the kernel-source that comes with beta 3.  It is a typo, which can be fixed.  The link I gave describes how.  It will not work unless you edit a file in the source.  It does not matter by which method you install the source; it will have that typo.  The kernel-multimedia-source rpm is in the contrib section of cooker, along with the multimedia kernel.  Look on your mirror in mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/cooker/media/contrib/

I did make that mod in my last attempt. I noticed that is in a 64 bit area and has nothing to do with the fact the nvidia.ko is missing from 2.6.10-3,-4 kern source.

Do a google on 2.6.10 kernsource and nvidia - lots of stuff - even nforce stuff. Apparently 2.6.11 rocks. Dunno

Also could you please give me mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/cooker/media/contrib/ as a real url addy?

tia

Hope that helps.

Kristi

Edited by kristi

Sorry, I was a bit concise :). rolf's pretty much nailed it, his link is the right fix for -3mdk, and as he said, you can get kernel-multimedia from Cooker contrib. 10.1 contrib will only have 2.6.7, obviously, as contrib gets frozen for release like main does. Whenever you use betas, you should use Cooker mirrors as urpmi sources, not stable, as the betas are effectively Cooker. http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to set up Cooker sources, of course.

Adam, thanks, could you flesh this out a tad, as on one attempt I did indeed use "cooker" to build my urpmi but with no joy. You have mentioned "multimedia" source - can you give me a name?

tia!

Gonna go try b3 again cause it feels so good when I stop!

:lol2:

Kristi

Ok....back the train up here a minute. Timeout.

nvidia.ko is built by the nvidia-installer.

The error you are getting is not that it can't find the nvidia.ko, but that it can't load it. This error is usually caused by having the wrong kernel sources installed, as your error points out.

First. Do

uname -r

to find the exact kernel you are running. Then go here http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/cookerdevel.php3

and search the mirrors you find there for the kernel-source that matches exactly the kernel you are running. If it is a 2.6.10, you need to make the edits to the sources that rolf and adamw pointed out. Then, before building, since you've tried so many different kernel sources, make sure your symlink /usr/src/linux is correct. Do

ls -l /usr/src/linux

or maybe

cd /usr/src

ls -l | grep "linux "

and make sure the symlink points to the kernel source directory that matches your running kernel. Then run the installer.

If the symlink is wrong, you can

rm -f /usr/src/linux

ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.10-3 /usr/src/linux

Assuming that linux-2.6.10-3 is the kernel you are running, before you run the installer.

Any of my babblings make sense?

Ok....back the train up here a minute. Timeout.

nvidia.ko is built by the nvidia-installer.

The error you are getting is not that it can't find the nvidia.ko, but that it can't load it. This error is usually caused by having the wrong kernel sources installed, as your error points out.

First. Do

uname -r

Before I had my presently mixed system, I had a virgin 10.2b3 install, and a source from the cd3 of the 10.2b3, thus implying to me that since it had the same numbers and came from the same download, they were the same. I got the same old nvidia.ko missing message.

Because a lot of folks suggested I use the mm source, I now have the mm source in /usr/src/linux. naturally it does not agree with what uname -r says since the system installed by the 10.2b3 CDs is 10.2b3 with a 2.6.10-3 source.

Kristi :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Edited by kristi

Oh boy...I hope you didn't think I was chiding you...I've just been following this thread (don't even remember if I've posted in it) and it just suddenly dawned on me where some of your mistakes are.

let's say I do

uname -r

and i get:

omar@laptop.mdk /usr/src 1705 28-Feb-05

> uname -r

2.6.8.1-12mdksmp

Then I need

kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk.i586.rpm

There's nothing different about the sources of a regular mdk kernel and a smp mdk kernel...only the config files are different.

As long as all the numbers match. If you can't find a kernel-source pkg for your running kernel....find on the mirrors a kernel and a matching kernel source pkg...install both and reboot to the new kernel, then install the nvidia driver (after making any edits to the broken kernel source tree and checking your symlink).

Just remember what the b stands for in 10.2b3:

It stands for "I can't believe we didn't get it right the first two times."

P.S. rolf is a linux god...so he knows what he's doing. I've been around the block a time or three in linux and I admire his knowledge, so that should say something (wow, that sounds like I'm tooting my own horn and I guess I am a little....don't do that much :P). (Now if only we could wrangle an afrosheen up in here...)

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

There is a typo in the kernel-source-2.6.10 that comes with 10.2 beta 3 and stops the nvidia driver build.  There is some info about what to do (worked for me) in this post -> a post.

This does not fix my nvidia.ko missing problem. any ideas?

tia

Kristi

Would you confirm for me that, in line 43 pos 194 of file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/rhconfig.h, you removed one && where there were two in a row, saved the file, and tried to build the nVidia module with 2.6.10 running? :) Also, I have not heard of, nor have I used the step, "run make prepare-all against the source." How do you come to believe this step is necessary and could it be creating the problem?

Just to throw out some ideas. Once I have built against a kernel-source, there have been some occasions where it seemed I needed to replace the sources with a fresh copy before I could successfully build again. Once, the module would not build on one attempt but, after I did modprobe -r nvidia to unload the module, it built. I just got my first nVidia card, so this is all pretty new to me. Have you looked around at the nvnews Linux forum?

Because a lot of folks suggested I use the mm source, I now have the mm source in /usr/src/linux. naturally it does not agree with what uname -r says since the system installed by the 10.2b3 CDs is 10.2b3 with a 2.6.10-3 source.

You can install the mm kernel from the same directory that had the mm source.

You can now attempt to install the Nvidia driver (6629)  To do this, first modify modprobe.preload to start level 3 instead of 5.

I think you mean /etc/inittab, which you would edit following your later instructions in reverse.

Hmmmm...was I just reprimanded for being vague? I'm never vague about...you know...stuff.

:P

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

You can now attempt to install the Nvidia driver (6629)  To do this, first modify modprobe.preload to start level 3 instead of 5.

I think you mean /etc/inittab, which you would edit following your later instructions in reverse.

Hmmmm...was I just reprimanded for being vague? I'm never vague about...you know...stuff.

:P

8 lines above that I am cd'ed into /etc

Everyone was vague. I think it is a Linux "thing". I poses no use to anyone but an expert who doesn't need it anyway.