10.2b3 and Nvidia driver install [solved]

kristi

EDIT a month later - I did not have the correct source for my system, so it gave me the message that nvidia.ko was missing What follows is a bunch of nice guys trying very hard to tell me that!!! :woops:

I am hot to try MDK 10.2b3 . The only thing holding me back is installing the Nvidia driver. Do I have to wait for Nvidia to creat this interface, or is there something I can do?

tia!!!!!

Kristi

Edited by kristi

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying that the nvidia installer won't function correctly with b3? I have b2, and there was no issue with the current nvidia drivers.

Are you saying that the nvidia installer won't function correctly with b3? I have b2, and there was no issue with the current nvidia drivers.

Oh really? Huh! When I put up b2, it bitched about not being able to find something .po, I think. But to heck with that, I'll grab the b3 isos and try again and if I have probs (or success) I'll post back here.

Thanks!

Kristi

Nope, same error.

Download isos, check sums and burn.

Install 10.2b3 (I did not choose "upgrade")

install source for 2.6.10.3 (from CD3)

run make prepare-all against the source.

log out of kde

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run

usual msg: no precompiled interface.

usual msg: nothing on Nvidia site, will have to compile one.

-does its thing-

msg: unable to load the kernel module nvidia.ko kernel built using wrong kernel source files.

msg: Installation failed

/var/log/nvidia-installer.log :

EDIT - (2 weeks later) removed a huge log here the simple answer was that my source did not match my /lib/modules release - I just couldn't see it back then.

So I am wondering how you got it to work? or did you "upgrade" from 10.1 and leave the 10.1 /usr/src/ intact?

tia!!!

Kristi

Edited by kristi

kristi,

There's a problem with 2.6.10 kernels and the NVidia 6629 driver. Look here for a possible solution and let us know if it works for you:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42964

Thanks.

:jester: I fixed the problem with 10.2b2 and got 6629 working fine (even if the installer complained about missing kernel modules, it configured it properly).

However I've installed as an upggrade 10.2 b3 yesterday and X dies at startup..

Used the tutorial found elsewhere (copied below) on 10.2b2

Please post any possible valid solution for 10.2b3...if any

cheers

----------------------------begin of quoted message

first install the package kernel-source-2.6-2.6.8.1-12mdk

To install the nvidia driver

first have to exit the xserver. This can be made easily by just opening the console, and

writing:

su root

init 3

Note that you have not to restart (or log in as diferent user) until the end of the installation

Then go where the driver is and write:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run

Then it will say that there isn't precompiled kernel module for the kernel and that have to compile new.

The installation will also say that there is rivafb kernel module that could conflict with the nvidia kernel module but it will install ok.

After that you have to edit the file XF86Config (or xorg.conf but it is only symbolic link to XF86Config).

Find the line

# Load "glx" # 3D layer

and delete "#" symbol so it will look so

Load "glx" # 3D layer

Find the section "Device"

and change the line Driver "nv" to Driver "nvidia"

the only think to do then is to write in console:

modprobe -r rivafb

and to add line in the file /etc/modprobe.preload

nvidia

then write

init 5

and run some games

after restart there should have no problems

------------------------------------------------------end of quoted message

it's a screwup with the kernel 3mdk build. Read Cooker list for details and a fix. Alternatively, just install kernel-multimedia from contrib. nvidia builds fine on that, and it's all around a better kernel anyway.

Thanks Adam - which one? I only see 2.6.7-1 as the latest. source?

"Read Cooker list" (where do I find that?

acrtually, the previous attempt at 10.2b2 I used cooker to get urpmi stuff,. This time I just used 10.1 . Maybe that's a prob in itself.

Could very well be that I don't know enough to be playing around with this yet.

THANKS.

Kristi

acrtually, the previous attempt at 10.2b2 I used cooker to get urpmi stuff,. This time I just used 10.1 . Maybe that's a prob in itself

Yeah, if you installed 10.2b2 and then added only 10.1 sources to urpmi to update stuff, this could very well be your problem.You should be using 10.2 sources or Cooker. Unfortunately, I don't see the multimedia kernel on my favorite mirror, but look on yours. It should be 2.6.10-3

acrtually, the previous attempt at 10.2b2 I used cooker to get urpmi stuff,. This time I just used 10.1 . Maybe that's a prob in itself

Yeah, if you installed 10.2b2 and then added only 10.1 sources to urpmi to update stuff, this could very well be your problem.You should be using 10.2 sources or Cooker. Unfortunately, I don't see the multimedia kernel on my favorite mirror, but look on yours. It should be 2.6.10-3

Nope, the only 2.6.10 I found was the kern source on CD3 of 10.2b3 (forget about b2 - that's gone.)

I wonder what would happen if I installed 10.1, installed 2269 to that, and then "upgraded" to 10.2b3 ? Might be an interesting way to kill an hour! :cheesy:

But first I will go try the one Steve pointed to...

:wall: it feels so good when I stop! :mr-green:

bak soon!

Kristi

""But first I will go try the one Steve pointed to...""

Nope - got the same missing file.

I'm back on 10.1

I'm wondering if there's a way I can upgrade to KDE 3.3 The KDE site is not much help. I think I need to offer a sacrifice to the god of the 4th CD for 10.1 ......... :evilmod:

Kristi

There is a typo in the kernel-source-2.6.10 that comes with 10.2 beta 3 and stops the nvidia driver build. There is some info about what to do (worked for me) in this post -> a post.

rolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry...been forever since he's been around)

fwiw, I have given up on 10.2b3 - 2.6.10-3, and I think -4 kernsource is missing nvidia.ko . Plus did some googling on 2.6.10 and found lots of sound and network probs re nvidia/nforce.

They'll get it sometime!!!!!!!

:mr-green:

Kristi

Nope, the only 2.6.10 I found was the kern source on CD3 of 10.2b3 (forget about b2 - that's gone.)

I wonder what would happen if I installed 10.1, installed 2269 to that, and then "upgraded" to 10.2b3 ? Might be an interesting way to kill an hour! :cheesy:

But first I will go try the one Steve pointed to...

:wall: it feels so good when I stop! :mr-green:

bak soon!

Kristi

:wall: Forget it. I did upgrade from 10.2b2 to 10.2b3 and had no luck. with 10.2b2 I had a fairly working nvidia enhanced Xserver but 10.2b3 isn't working at all.......