Linux companies Mandrakesoft and Conectiva

jlc

Now they have ;)

Where?

I haven't seen evidence of Mandrake doing positive marketing.

They would do far better just sacking the whole marketing dept or sticking them in delivery uniforms and sending them off to deliver the outstanding orders.

How about making customers aware of URPMI or all the good tech stuff mandrake have done?

While they are at it they might take back and swap out the mandrake 8.0 boxed editions still in shops ...and switch em for 10.1.

Mandrake and marketing in the same sentence?

gowator: MDK doesn't do retail distribution any more, there's no infrastructure. The packs left in stores are the stock they have left over from when we *did* do retail distribution, there's no mechanism by which they could be swapped. The stores own the product, it's not in MDK's control whether they choose to try and sell them or just throw them away.

And yes, MDKsoft is the largest European Linux company, since SuSE was bought. It's not like we're massively smaller than SuSE, either - SuSE's revenues as a unit of Novell in their latest financial year were about $12m, MDKsoft's latest revenues were about $6m. So the firms are playing in the same ballpark in any case.

Guest txlonghorn
Hi, I am a Latvian computer virus, but because of poor technology in my country, unfortunately I am not able do any harm to your computer.

Please be so kind to delete one of your important files yourself and then forward me to other users.

Solarian, Is that quote open source?

I was wondering the same thing about the 'we' there, too, cybrjackle.

Personally, what I think MDK needs to work in more than marketing is customer service. I got poor customer service when I bought my 8.1 retail box and I got poor customer service when I was a member of MandrakeClub. I got even worse customer service when I upgraded my membership to Silver.

I'm a vaguely attached MDKsoft tentacle as of last month, in that I now edit the (approximately) fortnightly newsletter and proofread press releases, on a contract basis. I'm not officially in PR, or anything, though, and I post on entirely the same basis as I did before (i.e. I don't have much more info than anyone else here, and everything I say is entirely unofficial and my own opinion). Yes, this *does* mean I get money from MDKsoft so I can't be regarded as entirely unbiased, but then I wasn't before, either. I'm not likely to go whitewashing anything, though, as I hope my comments for the last month and my public opinions about the relative merits of the main kernel and kernel-multimedia prove ;). hence, I tend to alternate between 'they' and 'we' rather freely. :) I did know about this a bit in advance, though, as I edited and proofread the press release in question. hope that explains it :)

Edited by adamw

Personally, what I think MDK needs to work in more than marketing is customer service. I got poor customer service when I bought my 8.1 retail box and I got poor customer service when I was a member of MandrakeClub. I got even worse customer service when I upgraded my membership to Silver.

Steve do you mean the 'where'? Because the 'we' is me. Are YOU still with ME? Can you SEE the mistake that needs to BE corrected so I can AGREE with your post? :juggle:

Translation: I think you mixed up me and Cybrjackle... :lol:

Steve do you mean the 'where'? Because the 'we' is me. Are YOU still with ME? Can you SEE the mistake that needs to BE corrected so I can AGREE with your post? :juggle:

Translation: I think you mixed up me and Cybrjackle... :lol:

me too :P