Linux companies Mandrakesoft and Conectiva

jlc

I posted the following at OSNews.com

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=...fset=30&rows=42

"Not only does Mandrake put out a fantastic distribution (the best all around, IMHO), but they have been really getting their business and marketing act together over the last two years or so.

First, they emerged from bankruptcy protection. Then they were able to cut unnecessary costs. Then they were able to gradually get in the black. Then they were able to generate extra cash by floating stock. Then they were able to start acquiring other companies (including a services company, and others). Then they were able to expand their product line, from portable hard drive, to Mandrake "goodies", to Mandrake Move, to business server and desktop versions, and so on. Then they've been expanding their ISV market in North America. Then they modified their release schedule to be more palpable to the community, and iron out early bugs more efficiently (Mandrake Community edition). Then they've been signing up with hardware providers. Then they've been getting governement contracts. And they've done all of this while remaining open source.

And now they've acquired Connectiva, another Linux company that is profitable and really has it's act together (in both a technical and business sense), and which has natural synergies with Mandrake.

I expect Mandrake will continue to put out and improve on their fantastic distribution, and continue to be a business success."

Go Mandrake!!

Good post, JeffSmdk.

However, I'm sure there'll be some i-diots which will call you a fanboy, only because of your last sentence... there's always these people on OSnews, shouldn't care about them.

To me this was an interesting read. Seels like they're doing very well now. On another note: isn't Connectiva the Brazilian distribution which mimics XP almost completely? Or is that another Brazilian distro I'm thinking about now?

Good post, JeffSmdk.

However, I'm sure there'll be some i-diots which will call you a fanboy, only because of your last sentence... there's always these people on OSnews, shouldn't care about them.

To me this was an interesting read. Seels like they're doing very well now. On another note: isn't Connectiva the Brazilian distribution which mimics XP almost completely? Or is that another Brazilian distro I'm thinking about now?

yes, it is somehow nice to hear that mandrake is developing in a very good way. :)

about conectiva: no, they are no mimics of windows. they use kde as default and concentrate on the latinamerican market while providing some excellent stuff for all linux-distros. everaldo e.g. worked for conectiva (→ crystal-icons,...) and they developed the synaptic tool, afaik. that does not sound like windows for me. ;)

Mandrakesoft, founded in 1998, is the internationally recognized number one European Linux company. Mandrakesoft has built its business by designing and delivering user-friendly Linux products to both individuals and businesses, building a user base of more than 4 million users. In its latest fiscal year, Mandrakesoft's revenues reached 5.18 million EUR (6.7 million USD) for a net income of 1.39 million EUR (1.8 million USD).

erm anyone wanna see how this goes down on the Suse forum ?

Just as well its MSK taking over connectiva and not the other way round else all that time spent learning the Wizards would have been wasted!

Good post, JeffSmdk.

Well, I am a bit of a fanboy of Mandrake, as I've been really pleased with this distribution. I'll gladly admit it. :D I like other distros and continue to try others, but I keep coming back to Mandrake, for it's over all excellence and ease of use. :beer:

As for the OSNews posters, I don't care about them. OSNews is flame war nirvana, where it seems like 90% of the posts are trolls

Sure:

http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=12338

This is the 'new' board (yep, the original board split...  :cry: )

Sad but ....

From suse board link to realstic CNET article....

update Mandrakesoft has agreed to acquire Conectiva, a move to combine the weight of two Linux sellers that individually have failed to achieve the dominance of Red Hat or Novell's SuSE.

compared to..... Mandrake's ...

Mandrakesoft, founded in 1998, is the internationally recognized number one European Linux company. Mandrakesoft has built its business by designing and delivering user-friendly Linux products to both individuals and businesses, building a user base of more than 4 million users. In its latest fiscal year, Mandrakesoft's revenues reached 5.18 million EUR (6.7 million USD) for a net income of 1.39 million EUR (1.8 million USD).

:juggle::shocking:

Well... Novell is US-based. So since SuSe 'officially' is no longer in Europe (although they still have the company there), they *can* claim this now.

Maybe its a stab because of the time where SuSe said they were the 1st commercial distro to offer the 2.6 kernel... ?

Note that the dominance they are talking about is in terms of market share in USA. The thing really good about the merger is that they are combining two market areas that have zero overlap (Europe and South America). If you think in terms of market potential, S.A is a lot better than USA where there are two heavyweights already entrenched over there (Novell and RedHat). Europe, while there is still Novell (or Suse) to think about, is more open than USA, although not as open as S.A.

Anyway, in terms of product range, I am not really sure what is the target for Connectiva. However, Mandrake has been eyeing the business market for quite a while. While they don't have the weight nor the brand name to go over the rich enterprises, they can go to small to medium business very well. Or better yet, a large enterprise which is poor in dollars (since we are talking about International market here). I checked the price of Novel OpenExchange server once and while they are cheaper than Microsoft's offering, amount of 4 digits in US dollars is still very expensive. If Mandrake can offer a similar product for only 3 digits in US dollars, those South Americans would snap them up :)