Mind to help again with Xplanet?

dmzeplin

1: copy the xplanet folder (/usr/X11R6/share/xplanet/config) to /home/<your name>/ and rename it .xplanet (that way you can tweak things as a normal user and not as root. Much better that way).

2: Go to /home/<your name>/.xplanet/config and open the default file. Go to the line: cloud_map=<and put here a path to the clouds.jpg. Mine is /home/<my name>/tmp>

3: open the cloud_download.pl script with a text editor and change the line: my $Filename = "/home/<your name>/tmp (or where you want it) /clouds.jpg";

4: open a console and type: perl dowload_clouds.pl to see if it works.

5: open kcron (have a look at the previous topic for a screenshot with an example) and add a job.

In the default file you can also add line for marker_file=<path to marker files>. Look in the marker map in .xplanet for examples or generate some with Totalmarker.

For South Africa: add this to the options in the KDE xplanet edit. --latitude 52 --longitude 4 (well this is Amsterdam but change it for where you want it). Or --random will give you random viewpoints. Read the http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/README for more options (I like --projection azimuthal very much :) )

Have fun.

I found it after it disappeared when rename it to .xplanet from "Open Location". I assume it is supposed to become "invisible" after rename it?

I went to console and typed: perl download_clouds.pl, but it said:

Can't open perl script "download_clouds.pl": No such file or directory.

Look like I didn't success download script? :help:

Edited by dmzeplin